auto.arima defaults seem to conflict

noetsi

Fortran must die
from the auto.arima documentation.

m : int, optional (default=1)
The period for seasonal differencing, m refers to the number of periods in each season. For example, m is 4 for quarterly data, 12 for monthly data, or 1 for annual (non-seasonal) data. Default is 1. Note that if m == 1 (i.e., is non-seasonal), seasonal will be set to False. For more information on setting this parameter, see Setting m.​
seasonal : bool, optional (default=True)
Whether to fit a seasonal ARIMA. Default is True. Note that if seasonal is True and m== 1, seasonal will be set to False.​

It says the m default is set to 1 which means no seasonality. But the seasonal default is set to true which means seasonality [and that makes sense given what this does which is to search for SARIMA not just ARIMA].

I don't see how both of these defaults are possible at the same time.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Well they both say optional, so is it that both are not trying to actuate each time, thus they don't conflict?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Note that if seasonal is True and m== 1, seasonal will be set to False.
Seems pretty direct to me. If you don't specify anything directly then season will default to true and m will default to 1 so seasonal will actually be false. So if you don't touch anything m will be 1 and seasonal will be false.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Dason I very much don't want seasonal to be false since our data is massively seasonal. So if I have to change the m default to make sure seasonal is true I will. If I understand what you are saying even if the default for seasonal is true it will be set to false if m=1. So one default takes precedence over another?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I mean yes that's what happens. But if you don't understand why I suggest you reread the documentation for the parameters. It literally doesn't make sense to say there is seasonal differencing if m==1.

noetsi

Fortran must die
I understand that actually from the documentation. Why do they set m=1 and seasonal=true (which means there is seasonality) both to defaults since they obviously conflict with each other. I would think you would not want defaults to conflict particularly if one sets the other aside.

But I am used to documentation which is far too much so sparse is a good thing sometimes :) Probably experts at R are aware that defaults can conflict - something else to get used to.