Can courtship behavior explain mating succes (Generalized Linear Model?)

Mann

Hi.

I'm trying to analyse some data about courtship behavior and mating succes in spiders.
I have two groups of male spiders, well fed (NF) and low fed (LF). Each male has been used in an experimental trial with a female, where the duration of 3 courtship behaviors of the male has been quantified in seconds and mating succes has been scored as "yes" or "no".

So I want to answer the question: "Can courtship behavior (either one of them or more than one combined) explain mating succes?"

I have been advised to use generalized liniar model to analyse this question, which I have tried to do in R.

Is the analysis as simple as what I have done?
I'm rusty at both statistics and R, so I'm afraid I'm missing something here. Don't i need to check for homogeneity of variance and normal distribution and "stuff like that" before I do the test?

Would you also use a GLM for this kind of analysis?

(I have attached a screenshot of my analysis, a plot of the behaviors in the 2 groups and a sample of the data).

Thank you very much for any advise.

Best regards
H. Mann

Hey Mann.

Using a GLM is the right way to go if you are trying to estimate a probability (of Yes/No type).

What did you do for distribution assumptions with regards to the courtship behaviors? (It will not be normally distributed since you can't have negative time)

rogojel

TS Contributor
hi,
this looks like a clear case of a binary logistic regression to me, with feed status as an indicator variable. The sample has a bit of a problem because the poor LF guys never once had a mating success - but if you have more samples that would be the way to go IMHO.

regards
rogojel