Can you include X1/X2 in a model when you've already included X1 and X2?

Can you include X1/X2 in a model when you've already included X1 and X2? For example, I am trying to predict housing prices. X1=square feet and X2=lot size. I want to see how much of the lot isn't being used as a proxy for how big the front and back yard are. Thus, I want to use X1/X2 since this is my only data. Can I include X1/X2 when I have already included X1 and X2?

Yes. It's not that different from an interaction term.
Thank you. Quick question: Let's say you have the following output:

HousePrice=150,000+20Square_feet+5Lot_size-7Square_feet/Lot_size

Let's say you want to predict the effect on house price of an increase in square feet of 100. For "-7Square_feet/Lot_size" would you divide 100 by the average lot size? If not, how would you predict the change in house price?

Jake

Cookie Scientist
Just like in models with an interaction term, in this situation you can plug in any value of lot_size that you're interested in. The sample mean of lot_size is a very common and reasonable choice. But there may be other values of lot_size that are of a priori interest as well.

Just like in models with an interaction term, in this situation you can plug in any value of lot_size that you're interested in. The sample mean of lot_size is a very common and reasonable choice. But there may be other values of lot_size that are of a priori interest as well.
Thank you so much!