Car package in R is not loading (it simply blocks R)

hex01

So, I have installed the CAR package in R (with the dependencies) and when I try to load it, it simply blocks the program, it cannot be loaded. I have waited minutes after minutes hoping it will load, but nothing.

Moreover, I have to use the Ctrl/Alt/Delete command to end the R Studio program, simply clicking the red "STOP" icon does not work.

I use R 3.2.2 on 64 bits, under Windows 7, and R Studio 0.99.448.

Thanks for your help!

Bogdan

bugman

Super Moderator
try installing car and then reinstalling from a different Cran mirror as a first pass.

I haven’t ungraded to 3.2.2 yet so it might be a bug. Have you tried doing it vis an earlier version of R?

hex01

try installing car and then reinstalling from a different Cran mirror as a first pass.

I haven’t ungraded to 3.2.2 yet so it might be a bug. Have you tried doing it vis an earlier version of R?
Thanks for your replies. I had the same problém on 3.2.1, then I have upgraded to 3.2.2 hoping I will get rid of it, but no.

Can you tell me please how to select a different CRAN mirror? It's not very obvious in RStudio.

bugman

Super Moderator
Ok, one final test.

Go to your R icon, right click properties. In the shortcut tab add:

Code:
--internet2
to the end of the path (out side the parentheses).

Click ok.

Restart.

Now try loading again....

hex01

I have tried to do what you did, but I'm a bit confused, sorry.

In what field in the Shortcut tab should I add that code? I am not allowed to enter it in the Target field. Moreover, I cannot see any parentheses. Could you tell me more exactly where to add the code, what is the path you are talking about? Thank you.

bugman

Super Moderator
Sorry, didn't mean parentheses - I meant the quotation marks.

You path in the target tab should look like this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.2\bin\x64\Rgui.exe" --internet2

I have just installed "car" via the GUI using 3.2.2 64 bit. It might be an R studio issues (is your version of R studio up to date?). Try this and get back to me...

My problem seems to be solved. :)

I have simply installed a more recent RStudio version (0.99.482) and now the car package loads without problems. So the issue was RStudio, indeed.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. :))

Bogdan

P.S. The trick with --internet2 did not work; the program did not admit such kind of target file. But it does not matter anymore. :)

I have simply installed a more recent RStudio version (0.99.482) and now the car package loads without problems. So the issue was RStudio, indeed.
Thank you (and bugman for effort) for coming back and telling us about the solution of the problem. This is valuable! An not just saying that the problem was solved and leave! :)