Categorical variables and interaction in MLR

noetsi

Fortran must die
It depends on whether your theory supports doing so or not. Dummy variable interaction is not different than any other interaction.

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
but as Jake corrected in a post of mine sometime earlier, the interpretation of dummy-coded interactions can be pretty confusing. effects coding is what i think people usually go for when they're dealing with interactions between categorical variables...

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Is effects coding the {-1, 1} way of coding things?

Edit: And by that I mean it's either 0 or 1 for all groups except one group that is -1 for all of the dummy variables...

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Meh - I don't really use that very often. But if I think about it when I learned it I think it was "factor effects coding" - so... yeah ... I guess effects coding makes sense.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Strange I always use reference coding...although the only thing I usually care about an interaction variable is if its sig or not. When it is I try to find out why it is substantively and look at graphs and run the regression at different levels of the interacting variables...

I am not sure what it matters if you use reference or effect coding if your doing that :)