Chi square test

Ste90

I decided to use Chi quare test because I have a Indipendent categorical variable (with 2 levels) and a dependent categorical variable (with 5 levels).
I ran Descriptives, Crosstabs, I selected Chi square, observed and expected results, row percentages an in Nominal Phi and Cramer's v.
I got significance because I got a Pearson coefficient 13.808a and a p-value = .017 / Likelihood Ratio 18.312 and p value = .003 (df=5)
But, I violated the assumption because reported a 5 cells (41.7%) have expected count less than 5. The minimum expected count is .89.

What should I do now? Did I do something wrong? Is my relation significant even if I violated the assumption? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Either your sample size is quite small, or half of the categories in your variable are not very relevant.
What is your dependent variable with 5 levels, and how large is your sample size?

Since you are asking this in SPSS, maybe you have installed "exact tests"?

With kind regards

Karabiner

Ste90

My depent variable is with 6 levels actually, pardon, my sample 114
Since you are asking this in SPSS, maybe you have installed "exact tests"? Where can I see this option?
Thanks a lot

Ste90

I found "exact tests" option. When I ran the chi square I selected Asymptotic only. Is it correct? Other two options are "Monte Carlo" and "Exact"

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Is it really important and interpretable to compare those small groups with regard to
a categorical variabe with 6 levels? Otherwise, you could maybe create broader
categories by collapsing some of the current categories.

As far as I know, in the SPSS menue for crosstabs there appears a button "Exact" if the
exact tests module was installed.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Ste90

I see your point. you are suggesting of reducing the 6 variables. I don't know If I can, I will think about it.
About the button exact, it appears . Is my choice correct?

exact tests.PNG

Ste90

Btw you were right Karabiner! If I create broader variable the assumption violated is reduced, now is 30% I try to reach the 20

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Just a supplemetary note:
you may want to inspect the (adjusted) standardized residuals to find out which cell significantly contribute to the departure from independence.

Best
Gm

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hello,
i cant remember but there should be an option in SPSS, either something to tick or a button to press (that would lead you to another menu).
Apologies if I cant be more specific, but it's a while that i dont use SPSS (which I do not particularly like by the way).

Gm