Comparing means between sample and subsample

I would like to compare the mean score on personality questionnaire between my total sample (n=97) and my subsample (n=44) to see if there is a significant difference. I have absolutely no idea which statistical test I can use for this, since I mostly use independent or dependent sample t-test and both of them don't seem to fit here.

Can anyone help me? You would be a lifesaver!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
it does not make sense to compare subjects to themselves. Imagine your subsample were n=90, would you then expect that there's a meaningful way to perform a statistical test to compare them to the total sample n=97 ? You can just compare n=44 to the rest of the sample (n=53). Wouldn't that give you all the answers that you are looking for?

With kind regards

K.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
I have seen journal referees say to compare descriptives of non-respondents to the full population of eligible respondents to show they are comparable and I guess just missing at random. Though, I think a better way to do it is develop a logistic model with the outcome, missing (Y/N).

An-KatrienDR,

Can you tell us why you want to do this, so we can better understand the appropriateness of options.

I did two experiments (aversive conditioning tasks), one with the total sample, and one with a subsample, so I want to see if the mean scores on a personality questionnaire don't differ significantly from each other (between the total sample and the subsample).

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
There are mental red flags popping up every time you post more information. How were the individual that get two interventions selected?