comparing section in a scale using spss

rukia

Hi everyone;
hope you are doing well,

I am actually conducting a research, and I am comparing between a pre and post scale.
my problem is that when I comapre I don't want to compare the items of my scale , but sections for example I have item 1 and 2 and 3 are made to measure something in my overall variable. and 4,5,6 are for something else.

me I want to see the level of significance for the section, but I don't know how to do it in spss or any method.

Could you help me please?
thank you in advance.

Hi Rukia,

First of all, I am not very experienced in statistical research, so there might be someone better to answer this.
I am not sure whether your measurements are on a continues level (i.e. scale variables), but if that is the case you might be able to just create a new variable based on this.

You would go to 'Compute variable' in SPSS. Then you would sum up the scores for Item 1, 2, 3 and average those. This gives you an average score. The same you could do for items 4, 5 and 6.

Then, you could simply check whether there is a (significant) difference between the mean scores for these newly computed variables (123_Average and 456_Average for instance), grouped by the pre-test / post-test? However, averaging these scores assumes that indeed these items 1, 2 and 3 measure the same construct.

rukia

hi
thanks for your reply, it is appreciated

If I take your method, is it valid with 5 point scale? I mean my items are coded from 1 to 5 agree to strongly disagree.. I mean it is not score,, so is it valide to calculate teh average?

thank you so much
ah.. please would u like to show me how to do it in spss?

thank you so much