Comparing standard deviations


I have data about incomes from two groups and I want to see which group's variance is bigger.

The two groups income is measured in the same currency, so can I simply compare the standard deviation? Or should I use the coefficient of variation?

(The means are different)

Thanks for your help.


You could use the \(F_{max}\) test also I think it's called Hartley. Never used it myself but learned about it in stats 1. It's similar (maybe the same thing) to what an anova does when it compares variances.
Last edited by a moderator: