comparing two odds ratio using two different variables for the same subjects

For the same group of subjects I have two weight variables, one that is reported by the subject (weight1), and one that represents the weight that is appropriately measured with a scale after the first answer (weight2).

If I do two logistic regression:

logistic disease weight1
logistic disease weight2

I have the first OR = 1.037 [1.023, 1.051] and the second OR= 1.069 [1.053, 1.087], is it ok to conclude that using one variable instead of the other will result in a significant difference?

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
So you ran a simple logistic regression model twice with two different versions of the same variable and the respective ORs are listed above, correct?

yes exactly that, I use the same outcome variable but two different versions of the exposure variable in two distinct models. The same subjects are used for both models.

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Do both variables use the same units? You are trying to make the significance statement based on the confidence intervals? Which I believe would be incorrect for multiple reason. One the non-overlap of CIs wouldn't imply that.

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Do both variables use the same units? You are trying to make the significance statement based on the confidence intervals? Which I believe would be incorrect for multiple reason. One the non-overlap of CIs wouldn't imply that.

Yes both independent variables have the same units and represent the weight of a person. We first simply ask the person how much they weight. Then, after they gave their answer, we measure it with a scale. The idea is that the first variable (weight reported by the subject) is potentially not accurate. The second variable (weight measured with a scale after) is the correct measure. The goal is to assess that if we only ask the weight of a subject without measuring it, then it could lead to different result for further analysis (in my example it would lead to OR = 1.037 [1.023, 1.051] instead of OR= 1.069 [1.053, 1.087].

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
In many studies, there can be a bias correction based on a validations set. So I ask people their weight and get both values in a validation study and make a correction based on the differences. These validation corrections and studies are popular in epidemiology.

I would imagine plotting overlapping ROC curves for the models would be interesting along with actually reporting information on the measurement error (tendancies on differences). Another approach would be creating a scatterplot. In order to get different results based on the two variables, I would imagine the differences are not random, but differential. This should be examined.