Compensate for correlated observations

Dear users
I have an issue that I am not to solve alone and I am here to ask for your help. I work in the ophthalmology field and I have a group of patient included in a clinical study and the goal of this study is to correlate some continous parametric variables and 1 nonparametric variable each other. However, half of the patients had included one eye only, while the others both eyes, which are correlated. How can I compensate this bias?
Thanks in advance

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
You need to run a multilevel model that controls for this covariance. You will see if you look for it, this is what is used in many ophthalmology papers. I have helped on a coupe and it is what I did. They may use other terms like patient clusters or hierarchical model, but all get at controlling for this dependency.

GEE's are probably the best choice when correlation structures are not exactly known. However, in your case, you have a clear nested design where eyes are nested within individuals. Thus, you should use a repeated-mesaures ANOVA or a (G)LMM, where the patient ID is your random coefficient.

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Agreed. Though, many people may say GLMM trump repeated-measure ANOVA, in that it has a lot of options, but most importantly it doesn't drop observations when data are missing.