Compound Probability

Hey guys, i am having a bit of trouble with this basic probability question which shows that i do not understand the basics at all.
The question is:

What's the chance that a .250 hitter in baseball gets at least one hit in a game. (Assume the player has five at-bats)

Firstly, I do not understand baseball so an at-bat is not in my regular vocabulary. When I first read this question I assumed the answer would be 25% because they said what is the chance he would get a hit in a game and they already mentioned that he is a .250 hitter. I know there is more to this answer as I do not feel confident at all. Can anyone help? :(

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I'll reword it for you.

Tom has a 25% chance of hitting the ball every time he goes to the plate. He goes to the plate 5 times this game. What is the probability he hits the ball at least once?

I'll reword it for you.

Tom has a 25% chance of hitting the ball every time he goes to the plate. He goes to the plate 5 times this game. What is the probability he hits the ball at least once?
Thank you so much, but I am still unsure. If he says that he has a 25% chance every single time out of the 5 times. Does that mean that to find the probability that he gets at least 1 hit you basically:
25%^5 or (0.25*0.25*0.25*0.25*0.25) which is 0.0009765625 or approximately 0.098% chance that he hits it atleast once?

Dason,
should we consider the events as independent?
where would would you frame this problem ? what type of?
thanks

Last edited: