Correlation between nominal variables

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a dataset extracted from a questionnaire and entered and coded in SPSS. Im trying to show correlation/relationships between a range of demographic dependant variables and one outcome variable. The data is nominal and often on a scale (ie.how important would you rate the following in your decision to do X or at what level are you working etc). There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on how to go about this, even in the simplest way possible on SPSS so I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me! I have descriptive statistics done but I'm struggling to move past there. I realise this is pretty simple stuff but i'm still quite confused. Thanks!

noetsi

No cake for spunky
You aren't going to find consensus on this or any other point in statistics, you will save a lot of pain if you learn to accept that :p (I still am bothered by it after years of doing this).

If the variables are entirely nominal Phi and Cramer's V is often used. This is a link discussing them. I am sure SPSS generates them although I have not worked with it recently enough to know where.

http://www.harding.edu/sbreezeel/460 files/statbook/chapter15.pdf

Some of the variables you mentioned above seem ordinal/interval as importance or level. Other methods such as polychoric correlations or point biserial would apply in that case depending on the exact nature of your data.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Im trying to show correlation/relationships between a range of demographic dependant variables and one outcome variable.
So if simply you want to show relationships (at least, you
did not explicitly describe a need for calculating
correlation coefficients here), you can just perform
some common tests. According to the thread title,
I suppose that your outcome variable is categorical with
> 2 categories; so you could use it as grouping factor
and perform a Kruskal-Wallis test (for ordinal demographic
variables), Chi² (for categorical demographic variables),
or Kruskal-Wallis or oneway-ANOVA for interval scaled
demographic variables.

With kind regards

K.