Correlation between one item with multiple values

Hi,
I'm doing an experiment about heart rate and test scores. I want to know how to make the correlation between heart rate (which is per sec) and test score (which is per exercise). So I have for each exercise multiple heart rate readings. The exercise score is one value while the heart rate during the exercise is multiple values. How should I make the table and the correlation?
For example
Heart rate | Exercise | Time | Score
82 | 1 | 9:00:00 | 100
83 | 1 | 9:00:01 | 100
80 | 1 | 9:00:02 | 100
81 | 1 | 9:00:03 | 100
82 | 2 | 9:00:04 | 95
83 | 2 | 9:00:05 | 95
80 | 3 | 9:00:06 | 99
81 | 3 | 9:00:07 | 99

Last edited:

Karabiner

TS Contributor
I'm doing an experiment about heart rate and test scores.
What exactely do you want to find out, what are your research questions?
How should I make the table and the correlation?
See above - it depends on what you want to find out (e.g. maximum heart rate during excercise and its association with score? mean or median heart rate? duration of maximum or of minimum heart rate? amount of increase/descrease of heart rate relative to baseline? variability of heart rate? a combination of some of these? or something completely different...?.

With kind regards

Karabiner

The research question is: Is there is a correlation between the heart rate measure and the score of the test?
So, is using the average will be a good idea or it's better to use the maximum during the exercise or the heart rate at the end of the exercise?

Thanks,
Daneih

Karabiner

TS Contributor
So, is using the average will be a good idea or it's better to use the maximum during the exercise or the heart rate at the end of the exercise
How should I know? It depends on your theoretical assumptions, and what exactely you want to find out, or what your hypotheses are, respectively.

With kind regards

Karabiner