crazy p-value

I am taking data analysis, and am having a bit of trouble. It has been a couple years since i took intro to stats, so i am very rusty. I performed a t-test (two sided, and both alternates) on Sleuth 2 ex0222, and I get a p value with an negative exponent. this seems ridiculous to me, and I have no idea if I did something wrong, or if I should run with it. the tests I ran were:
t.test(ex0222$Cholesterol ~ ex0222$Group, var.equal = TRUE)
t.test(ex0222$Cholesterol ~ ex0222$Group,alternative = "less", var.equal=TRUE)
t.test(ex0222$Cholesterol ~ ex0222$Group,alternative = "greater",var.equal=TRUE
I just want guidance, because I want to learn this stuff..
any help is greatly appreciated!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I assume by 'negative exponent' you mean something like 2.6E-10? In which case that's just scientific notation for 2.6 * 10^(-10) = .00000000026 which is a perfectly fine p-value.

thanks guys.
I get what it means, that it is a significant outlier, but for the first week of a data analysis class, to get 1.23^-12 for one 2.47^-12 for two sided doesnt seem right to me. i was hoping for a straight forward .02 or something so I could make a clean analysis instead of being shocked by such an extreme outlier.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It's not an 'extreme outlier'. It just means that this result isn't very likely if the null hypothesis is true. Having an extremely significant result doesn't make your analysis dirty.