Data weighting and normalization

I have some ancient cities, their population (as number of people) and it's military strength (as a scale 0-10).
I need to generate an index which will represent city's power as a mix of it's population and it's military strength.

for i.e
town1->population:1500,mil.strength:9=>Index:0.85
town2->population:5000,mil.strength:2=>Index:0.70
town3->population:3000,mil.strength:7=>Index:0.75

I need an index which will weigh the two variables. The weight of the population will be 60% and the weight of the military will be 40%. Unfortunately the two variables are in different scales (population as thousands or hundreds people and military as integer from 0-10).The index for each city must be from 0 to 1.
How can I achieve it?
Thank you, Leonidas

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
I have some ancient cities, their population (as number of people) and it's military strength (as a scale 0-10).
I need to generate an index which will represent city's power as a mix of it's population and it's military strength.

for i.e
town1->population:1500,mil.strength:9=>Index:0.85
town2->population:5000,mil.strength:2=>Index:0.70
town3->population:3000,mil.strength:7=>Index:0.75

I need an index which will weigh the two variables. The weight of the population will be 60% and the weight of the military will be 40%. Unfortunately the two variables are in different scales (population as thousands or hundreds people and military as integer from 0-10).The index for each city must be from 0 to 1.
How can I achieve it?
Thank you, Leonidas
Try

Index = ((population town x / maximum population ) * 0.60 ) + ((mil.strength town x/10)*0.4)

I gues that should work.