delete

Hello

I'm looking for general advice about how to analyse a mixed methods survey for my PhD (my supervisors are not very quick at replying to emails so I thought I would cultivate as many options as possible so I can crack on).

I have a survey that is 20 questions long. The idea of the survey is to try and get participants opinions on a subject. I do not have a specific hypothesis that I am trying to test. This is very much inductive at this point.

The first five questions are demographic questions and they ask questions such as the level of qualification, or the amount of time that they have been in their profession.

The second part of the survey are either ranking questions (where they are asked to rank, any order of importance how beneficial an item will be to help in their job, for example), or Likert questions.

Attached to these questions are some open ended questions where they are asked to provide any other information that they believe is relevant.

My supervisors originally mentioned I should look to analyse a question using Bayesian statistics. However, talking to some of the other students that they have supervised through surveys, these students did not use similar analytical techniques.

Of course the descriptive statistics is relatively straight forward, as is singular thematic analysis for open questions.

However, what I might want to look for is whether the level of qualification or the amount of time that the participant is in their job might affect which outcome a ranking questions or any qualitative thematic responses that have been categorised, for example, a positive or negative response.

Does any of this make sense? If so can anyone signpost me to any further advice or reading about how I might go about this, what statistical test might I use?