Describe your biostatistics career

Hi there,

I'd really like to get a better idea of the breadth of careers available to biostatistics PhDs.

I have personal messaged with 1 or 2 members of this site in the past, but I'd really love to hear from ANYONE who works in the field of biostatistics:
  • What do you do every day?
  • What other jobs have you held in the past and how did they compare to what you do now?
  • What jobs have your friends/colleagues with biostatistics degrees done and what was their experience like?

Does a biostatistics career nearly always fit within one of the categories of epidemiology, clinical trials, or bioinformatics?

Finally, and a little more specifically, about the intersection of biostatistics and neuroscience,
  • Does anyone have experience, or know anyone with experience, applying their biostatistics PhD to neuroscience?
  • Would biostats applications to neuroscience mostly be in an academic/research setting or are there clinical applications too?
  • Are neuroscience applications of biostatics common enough that one should plan on going into that area, or should you just plan to work in biostats more broadly and keep an eye out for the occasional neuroscience-related project?

I know there is some mathematical modeling done in neuroscience but I'm thinking specifically of statistics applications.

Also, I'm thinking of neuroscience applications besides clinical trials of psychoactive drugs; but if that is your field, of course I want to hear more about that too!

Thanks!

Last edited: