Determine standard deviation from percentages

I have a normal distribution of data with a mean of 0. I know that 80% of the data falls within 3 units of the mean. So 80% of the data is from -3 to 3. How do I figure out the standard deviation? It's been a couple decades since my last math class and I'm forgetting this stuff. Thanks!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You can find an answer based on what you've said but just so we know... do you or don't you have the data available to you?

I don't have the raw data. I've just been told that the data is a normal distribution and that 80% of the population is within 3 units of the mean. Do you know how to find the standard deviation from just this?

hlsmith

Not a robit
Do you have an idea of what these data look like graphically (PDF)? Ideally, shouldn't 99% be within +/- 3 standard deviations?

Yes it's a normal distribution so 99% is within 3 standard deviations. My "3 units" description may be confusing. In my case the units is inches and I know that in my sample, 80% of the population's height is within 3" of the mean. I'm curious how to figure out the standard deviation from this type of data so I can apply it to other populations where I know X% of the population is within Y inches of the mean.