difficulty loading an ado file - please help

Dear TalkStats/Stata,

I am using STATA version 12.1 IC.
I am trying to use a program defined in a third-party ado file (downloaded from here: www.worldbank.org/analyzinghealthequity direct link:http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTHEALTHNUTRITIONANDPOPULATION/EXTPAH/0,,contentMDK:20216933~menuPK:400482~pagePK:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:400476,00.html)

I have tried putting the ado file in my /ado/plus folder, which is the default directory listed when I run
Code:
net query
however, when I try to run dominance using
Code:
dominance y [aw=wt], sortvar(x)
I keep getting the following msg:

"plugin not loaded or not available: use the adoonly option"

I can't find any information on how to load the plugin. I've run the dominance.ado file directly using do file editor. I've also tried placing the ado file in the current directory.

is this a 32-bit/64 bit problem?

Any assistance you can offer is much appreciated.

bukharin

RoboStataRaptor
1. It's not very well documented - most users would have difficulty with this
2. You should put it in your personal directory (typically C:\ado\personal if using Windows)
3. It says at the top of the ado-file "Program calls the ado files glcurve and locpoly. Download from Stata website if not installed" - have you done this?

Dear TalkStats/Stata,

I am using STATA version 12.1 IC.
I am trying to use a program defined in a third-party ado file (downloaded from here: www.worldbank.org/analyzinghealthequity direct link:http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXT...K:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:400476,00.html)

I have tried putting the ado file in my /ado/plus folder, which is the default directory listed when I run
Code:
net query
however, when I try to run dominance using
Code:
dominance y [aw=wt], sortvar(x)
I keep getting the following msg:

"plugin not loaded or not available: use the adoonly option"

I can't find any information on how to load the plugin. I've run the dominance.ado file directly using do file editor. I've also tried placing the ado file in the current directory.

is this a 32-bit/64 bit problem?

Any assistance you can offer is much appreciated.
I had the same problem and i tried to look into the ado file, just because the locpoly command used inside it is lack of the adoonly option, you just need to open the ado file by notepad, add up adoonly (or simply ado) after every locpoly command and it's done. good luck.

lh999

Hi

Also been having this problem.

I tried using advice from the last poster, adding the adoonly option after all locpoly commands, but still getting the same error message as original poster.

Does anyone know how this can be resolved once and for all?

Using a mac, Stata 12.1. .ado file in folder where it is supposed to be (though I had to create the folder manually as it wasn't there)

Kind regards

maartenbuis

TS Contributor
Whenever possible you should not manually install software, exactly because of the problems you encounter. Instead, just type in Stata findit locpoly and follow the links in the output you get from Stata.

If that is not possible (e.g. restrictive firewal or restrictive access to the hard-disk) then you try to type in Stata adopath to see where Stata is looking for .ado files. Apparently lh999 did not store the .ado files where Stata is looking for it.