Distribution of MLE

Hey guys how are you? I have the following question:

Let X1,X2,...,Xn be a random sample from a Pareto distribution having pdf
f(x|b)= (a*b^a)/x^(a+1) where x>=b (1)

Determine the maximum likelihood estimator for b, say b' on (0,infinity) and by considering P(b'>x) or otherwise show that b' has the Pareto distribution with pdf given by (1) but with a replaced by an.

My attempt: I found the MLE as b'=min Xi where 1<=i<=n, since our pdf is monotonically increasing w.r.t b.

After that I know how to find the asymptotic distribution of the MLE using the formula including the expected information but then we say that MLE follows a normal distribution for large n.

How do I show that the MLE follows a Pareto distribution in this case? I am so struggled, any help would be much appreciated!

P.S The hint tells us to consider P(b'>x) but how can I find P(min Xi >x) and why should it help me?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
P.S The hint tells us to consider P(b'>x) but how can I find P(min Xi >x) and why should it help me?
It's a hint on deriving the distribution of the sample minimum (which in this case is the distribution of your mle).

Think about this - if X is your sample minimum... what can you say about each and every one of the values in your sample? How can you relate this to the hint?

Edit: If you're looking for the interesting off-topic discussion that was contained in this thread before then you might want to turn your attention... here.

The sample minimum is every time the smallest of our observations. Where does this lead me? Consider also that x>=b for the previous pdf, so the probability of b' to be >x wouldn't be 0, using that x>=b??

Really I am so struggled. Can you please help me more? I can't think anything else at all!

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
If you wanted to know P(X(min) >= b) this is the same as P(X1 >= b, X2 >= b, X3 >= b, ..., Xn >= b) right? So use independence and a little bit of math to see if you can get the distribution from that.

If you wanted to know P(X(min) >= b) this is the same as P(X1 >= b, X2 >= b, X3 >= b, ..., Xn >= b) right? So use independence and a little bit of math to see if you can get the distribution from that.
P(min Xi >x) is the same as P(min Xi >= b), since x>=b? But then why P(minXi >= b) is the same as P(X1>=b, X2>=b,.....)? I mean onle one is the sample minimun, why do we use every Xn?
Is it possible to provide me the solution since there have been to many days I am trying to find a solution? Thank you very much, I hope I am not asking for too much!

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
If b < Min of Xi then b has to be less than EVERY one of the Xi. So if we're looking at the cdf of X(min) we want to know P(X(min) <= b) = 1 - P(X(min) > b) = 1 - P(X1 > b, X2 > b, X3 > b, ..., Xn > b)

Can you see where to go from here?

If b < Min of Xi then b has to be less than EVERY one of the Xi. So if we're looking at the cdf of X(min) we want to know P(X(min) <= b) = 1 - P(X(min) > b) = 1 - P(X1 > b, X2 > b, X3 > b, ..., Xn > b)

Can you see where to go from here?
So if I understand well: We want to find the pdf of x(min) = b'. But we know that b<=x so we need b<=min(x). The hint of the question tells me to consider P(b'>x) i.e
P(xmin>x). But you tell me to look at P(xmin<=b) not P(xmin>x) that's what I am confused about...

But we know that for a Paretto distribution any x is >= b. So P(x>=b) = 1, since is always true if we are talking for a Paretto distribution. So P(xmin>=b) = 1, since xmin is any of the xn. What am I thinking incorrectly?!

BGM

TS Contributor
But we know that for a Paretto distribution any x is >= b. So P(x>=b) = 1, since is always true if we are talking for a Paretto distribution. So P(xmin>=b) = 1
Yes you are correct, but back to the hints in the first post:

P.S The hint tells us to consider P(b'>x)
So now you know how to calculate this? for a general \( x > b \).

(you already know when \( x \leq b \) the probability is 1)

Yes you are correct, but back to the hints in the first post:

So now you know how to calculate this? for a general \( x > b \).

(you already know when \( x \leq b \) the probability is 1)
But a Pareto distribution needs x>=b so P(x<b)=0 [for any x] so P(xmin<b)=0 since we are talking for a Pareto distribution! But P(x>b)=1 and P(xmin>b) or P(b'>b)=1. How do I find P(xmin>x) or P(b'>x) where b' = xmin?

BGM

TS Contributor
First of all try to think about the following relationship :

1. If \( \min_i x_i > x \), then \( x_1 > x, x_2 > x, ..., x_n > x \)

2. If \( x_1 > x, x_2 > x, ..., x_n > x \), then \( \min_i x_i > x \)

i.e. The two events are equivalent (if and only if).

And thus the probability of the corresponding events are equal.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Yeah I got sloppy with notation and was just trying to get you to think about P(Xmin > b) for any constant b (not necessarily the b that is in the pareto distribution).

First of all try to think about the following relationship :

1. If \( \min_i x_i > x \), then \( x_1 > x, x_2 > x, ..., x_n > x \)

2. If \( x_1 > x, x_2 > x, ..., x_n > x \), then \( \min_i x_i > x \)

i.e. The two events are equivalent (if and only if).

And thus the probability of the corresponding events are equal.
So I have to find P(x1>x, x2>x,....,xn>x) to find the CDF of the sample minimum and then integrate it to find its pdf?? If this is the way how do I find P(x1>x, x2>x,....,xn>x) ?

BGM

TS Contributor
Ok assuming you agree on that fact. Several things to point out:

1. \( \Pr\left\{\min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i > x\right\} \) is not the CDF; it is the survival function. \( \Pr\left\{\min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i \leq x\right\} \) is the CDF.

2. Usually in these problems, the random sample \( X_1, X_2, ..., X_n \) are independent unless otherwise specified.

Ok assuming you agree on that fact. Several things to point out:

1. \( \Pr\left\{\min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i > x\right\} \) is not the CDF; it is the survival function. \( \Pr\left\{\min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i \leq x\right\} \) is the CDF.

2. Usually in these problems, the random sample \( X_1, X_2, ..., X_n \) are independent unless otherwise specified.
Ok, so I find the cdf and then integrate to find its pdf? But how do I find the cdf?

BGM

TS Contributor
By differertiating a CDF you get the pdf.

Also, you know that the random sample are independent - so what hinder you to calculate the CDF???

If this is the way how do I find P(x1>x, x2>x,....,xn>x) ?

BGM

TS Contributor
At this stage, beside directly telling you the answer, let me sum up the things for you and see you stuck at which step.

1. The MLE \( \hat{b} = \min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i \) (already found by you)

2. To show that the MLE has a certain distribution, we consider the survival function
\( \Pr\{\hat{b} > x\} \) (equivalent to consider the CDF)

3. By the definition of minimum,
\( \Pr\left\{\min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i > x\right\} = \Pr\{X_1 > x, X_2 > x, ..., X_n > x\} \)

4. Since the random sample \( X_1, X_2, ..., X_n \) are independent and identically distributed as a Pareto distribution, the above survival function become ...

5. Finally can you figure out the resulting survival function is the survival function of a Pareto distribution? and what is the corresponding parameters?

At this stage, beside directly telling you the answer, let me sum up the things for you and see you stuck at which step.

1. The MLE \( \hat{b} = \min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i \) (already found by you)

2. To show that the MLE has a certain distribution, we consider the survival function
\( \Pr\{\hat{b} > x\} \) (equivalent to consider the CDF)

3. By the definition of minimum,
\( \Pr\left\{\min_{i=1,2,...,n}X_i > x\right\} = \Pr\{X_1 > x, X_2 > x, ..., X_n > x\} \)

4. Since the random sample \( X_1, X_2, ..., X_n \) are independent and identically distributed as a Pareto distribution, the above survival function become ...

5. Finally can you figure out the resulting survival function is the survival function of a Pareto distribution? and what is the corresponding parameters?
Ok, since they are independent we can say that P(X1>x, X2>x,...,Xn>x)= P(X1>x) * P(X2>x) * ....*P(Xn>x)= [P(X1>x)]^n?? But then what is P(X1>x)? Have I used correctly the independence?