Example Research Questionthe null hypothesis

Provide an example of a research question in which you must test if the mean value of a variable is equal to its historical value and describe the null hypothesis

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
The average number of people per week posting their homework questions on this site without even trying to answer it themselves or providing any effort compared to the same metric 5 years ago.

hlsmith

What is your guess on what the null hypothesis should be or it that is troubling you what is the alternative hypothesis of interest?

I like hlsmith's reply so much!

The average number of people per week posting their homework questions on this site without even trying to answer it themselves or providing any effort compared to the same metric 5 years ago.
Of course, someone could write and post a thesis here.

Alternatively, eatmanian could do a simpel google search for:
null hypothesis
(as I did. And I found lots of explanations.) and write something himself and then ask here if he has got it correct. One often learns something when trying to formulate it in words and math.

hlsmith

You can make your null whatever you want but typically the are related to no differences between group regardless of direction, Ho: mean of group 1 = mean of group 2;

Still waiting to see what you come up with?