[Excel] - Template for Chi-Square / Fisher test

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi!

Sometime it happens to me to be in need to handle data that are provided in Excel format. When I have to perform on them even a quick analysis (e.g. hypothesis tests) I have to copy and paste data in another program.

I decided, just to semplify part of my work, to build an Excel Template to perform Chi Square and Fisher test.

The template can handle data organized in a contingency table, with up to 60 rows and 20 columns. Fisher's exact p is provided for 2x2 tables.

The template also provides the smallest fnumber expected value, and the % of expected values that are < 5. The figures should guide the user in the evaluation of the reliability of chi-square test (and, in case of 2x2 table, should inform the user wheter or not use Fisher's p vs Chi-square p).

A verbal explanation of the test's results is also provided.

It provides tables with expected values, chi-square values, and a table of standardized residuals where values having major contribution in the rejection of null hypothesis are highlighted.

I conceived it in order to also provide some association coefficients:
Pearson's Phi
Cramer's V
Yule's Q
Goodman-Kendal's tau

One sheet provides some quick web references for the various topic related to the tests and coefficients provided.

I hope it can be useful to those who want to give a quick look to their data, willing to get a discrete amount of (hopefullly) useful information.

information available from:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/gianmarco.alberti/index_file/Page395.htm
(at the bottom of the page)

Best Regards,
Gm

Last edited:

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi!!

If you have found my Template useful, please feel free to leave a message in the Guestbook of my personal website (the link is in the Homepage).

Best Regards,
Gm

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi!
Having met the deadline for the submission of my PhD dissertation manuscript, I have found some spare time to add few improvements to the Template for chi-square test:
-user can copy and paste row/column labels, and they will pop-up on the other tables of the Template as well;
-I have added a sheet for the Table of Adjusted Standardized Residuals, which prove to be useful to compensate for the Type II error for small samples (after Van Pool-Leonard 2011, with previous references -link-).

Best Regards and Merry Christmas
Gm