Fleeting/Random Thoughts

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Also I don't know why I didn't think of this before but the RCurl package supports cookies so maybe you could borrow some of that functionality...

Link

Ninja say what!?!
Wow! Congratulations Dason! And how did it go Link?

I am getting to the point that I should pop the question soon too.... in the next few months I should try and find the courage :)
She said yes!

My plans completely fell apart though. We'd just both graduated with our Masters and were taking a vacation in Hawaii. I booked an intro scuba course in the ocean and was gonna pop the question in the water. I had a substitute ring that I was going to "accidentally" lose in the water and freak out.

Getting into the water though, her ears started really hurting and she couldn't equalize correctly. She had to surface early, got seasick on the boat, and started throwing up. I ended up improvising the next day and hiked through this rainforest where I proposed in front of a waterfall.

My advise, it's natural to have a little fear that she'll say no. If you trust that she loves you though, she'll say yes.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
My advise, it's natural to have a little fear that she'll say no. If you trust that she loves you though, she'll say yes.
It's how I felt too. I didn't really think she would say no but there's always that voice in the back of your head...

Congrats! I'm glad to hear you were able to improvise something the next day! So you didn't want to propose while she was throwing up over the boat? Weirddd....

Once again congratulations and keep us updated. Let us know if you want/need any advice or anything!

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Link, I hope you ran logistic regression analysis on the probability of her saying yes before you popped the question :)

Congratulations!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I don't like to double post but it's been two days since that last one and it's a different topic so...

One reason I hadn't finished updating my Mines clone in R yet is because the glayout widget in gWidgets was annoying the piss out of me. Either I don't know how to work with it quite properly (which is possible because there doesn't seem to be any good documentation for glayout) or it's just buggy. Either way it was annoying me and made me just not want to work on it because I was using glayout to set up the grid for my buttons. I decided to just play around and emulate the same functionality using ggroups with no spacing and a list to allow me to call things using [[]] notation instead of explicitly giving a name to each widget. I got that working pretty quickly so hopefully I'll find some motivation and get this thing wrapped up nicely! The one thing I worry about is getting the timer set up. I think there might be an idleHandler which would allow me to do that but I haven't looked too much into it. I'm excited though because using gWidgets will allow me to add in right click functionality so you'd be able to place flags. I'd just need to update my search algorithm so that if you have something flagged it won't try to click on it.

tl;dr - I made some progress on the Mines clone in R and I'm happy about that.

Link

Ninja say what!?!
Please excuse my being off the new topic, but I'm just wondering...

I use npp in windows for my R text editor and send commands using npptoR. I know this is possible, but don't know how to do it. Does anyone know how to assign hot keys to automatically wrap a function (e.g. "head") around selected text before sending it to the R console? Thanks!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Hmm. I used npptoR for a little while when I was cleaning up my parents windows box and didn't know you could do that. Sounds interesting...

Also - this is a fleeting/random thoughts thread so you can never be off topic!

Link

Ninja say what!?!
Yeah. I'm sure it's possible as long as you know how to get under the hood. npptoR uses autohotkey to pass through the commands into a linked R console.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I'm not sure how many of you will believe this but... I'm installing XP on one of my work computers at the moment.

... I just need to be able to test some stuff on windows and this is just the easiest route I had available to me. I still had the XP install disk I got from the lady when I bought the computer from here. I didn't think I'd need it since my intention was to put xubuntu on it immediately. But now it would be nice to have XP.

AND... I created a user for myself on my wife's Windows 7 laptop and have been using that for Office 2010.

... what has become of me...

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
... and I didn't realize how long it takes to get a window's machine to update to the most current stable and secure version starting from a blank slate. I just want to go home and eat some dinner but these updates are keeping me stranded here. I could leave the computer running and just turn off the monitor and go home... but I don't like the idea of it being logged in while I'm gone and having anybody that wants to come and mess with the computer.

Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and wait a while...

Link

Ninja say what!?!
... and I didn't realize how long it takes to get a window's machine to update to the most current stable and secure version starting from a blank slate. I just want to go home and eat some dinner but these updates are keeping me stranded here. I could leave the computer running and just turn off the monitor and go home... but I don't like the idea of it being logged in while I'm gone and having anybody that wants to come and mess with the computer.

Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and wait a while...
LOL. Yeah...I've lost count of how many times I've been though that myself.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I'm pretty sure (98% confident) that this is the last set of updates and they're basically done. Once it restarts I should be able to register the machine with the university's registration system and then I'll go home.

Tomorrow I might actually be able to install some stuff on the machine that I actually need.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
So I scrapped that other machine I was trying to put windows on. It was a lot slower than I realized - I knew it had xp on it at one point so I assumed it would run ok - but it didn't. So I turned my other computer into a dual boot. Which has been going well - with XP and Ubuntu.

But on the XP side I can't for the life of me get my audio working. It works fine in Ubuntu - but windows just is completely against letting me hear anything other than the infuriating system beep.

Edit: Scratch that - I got it working. I needed to do a lot more work than ubuntu was making me do though. Also... I'm not going to lie... the only real reason I wanted audio is so that I could play half-life in my down time...

Last edited:

spunky

King of all Drama
so it's been a while since anyone posted anything here and given that i'm a little bit frustrated because i'm working in a proposal for a conference that has nothing to do with statistics (stuff that has to do with validity, dont ask... social sciences stuff) i just decided to post something random-but-stat-related to keep me sane...

does anyone have a favourite statistical test or result or function? i mean, maybe because it's relevant to the filed or just because you happen to like it... ?

in my case i've always, ALWAYS luuuved Liapounov's derivation of the central limit theorem because, at least in my area, i know that i'll never get the chance to mix applied statistical analysis with complex numbers (and i like this whole imaginary numbers idea...)....

i'm also pretty fond of Mallow's Cp and the Wald test just because it looks like fancy ML-version of a t-test...

are there any others people find interesting/attractive/relevant?

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi,
in this hot Italian summer, I am struggling with the writing of the main analytical section of my PhD dissertation (archaeology, prehistory) :mad:. I often happen to make use of Correspondence Analysis in an exploratory perspective, in order to find latent patterns of association in large contingency tables. The aim of the analysis is to pinpoint activity areas within settlements on the basis of different proportions of objects found at various findspots and in different domestic units.

Besides, I happen to use also various coefficients of association for categorical variables, as well as cluster analysis. Not to mention parametric and non-parametric hypothesis tests to compare two or more samples (e.g., t-test, Mann-Whitney, 1-way anova, Kruskall-Wallis).

I am also trying to grasp the basics of Social Network Analysis, since I feel that this approach could prove to be interesting for some aspects of the issues I am faced with.

Cheers,
Gm

Link

Ninja say what!?!
So I've just been diagnosed with early stage carpal tunnel's syndrome ... It sucks, I know. Doctor's given me conservative treatment ideas (e.g. stretches, breaks, splints, ergonomic advice).

This has gotten me curious though. Any of you deal with this before? Any ideas on making it better?

Thanks!

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Sorry to hear that Link :(

My father has CTS as well. He has some remedies he swears by:
1. squeezes with a tennis ball and silly putty
2. he sleeps with a hand straightener (like a knee brace but keeps hands straight). His doc told him some CTS sufferers clinch their fists at knight (meaning wrists stress that is not necessary)
3. obviously avoid repetitive activities of the hand and wrist and take breaks when you do (article paper writing means frequent breaks and stretches)