Good measure of non-linear correlation

noetsi

Fortran must die
Many of the measures of correlation, notably pearson but I think Spearman rho as well, do not measure non-linear relationships well. Are there any that do measure it well?

I would guess that it would depend on the form the non-linear relationship took :(

Miner

TS Contributor
Spearman's rho will work on nonlinear relationships provided they are monotonic increasing/decreasing. Wikipedia has some good examples. For a non-monotonic, nonlinear relationship, I found reference to Hoeffding’s D, but know nothing about it.

I found in another paper that there is an R package for it: "The R function for Hoeffding’s D test is hoeffd (package Hmisc). The package Hmisc can be downloaded from the R Web page (http://www.r-project.org)."

SAS also has this.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Usually I look on line. In this case I was not even sure where to look for this.:p In part because I don't know what the class of correlation estimators such as pearson, spearman, polychoric correlation are called.

I was sure spearman's rho would not work for non-linear relationships. Obviously that is not, completely, correct.

thanks.

Dragan

Super Moderator
Yes, there is. It's referred to as the L-correlation; which is based on L-comoments. L-comomentns are the expected values of linear combinations of the order statistics of the data....a difficult subject to delve into.

rogojel

TS Contributor
Spearman's rho will work on nonlinear relationships provided they are monotonic increasing/decreasing. Wikipedia has some good examples. For a non-monotonic, nonlinear relationship, I found reference to Hoeffding’s D, but know nothing about it.

I found in another paper that there is an R package for it: "The R function for Hoeffding’s D test is hoeffd (package Hmisc). The package Hmisc can be downloaded from the R Web page (http://www.r-project.org)."

SAS also has this.
Great article Miner, many thanks!
BTW the distance correlation and the maximal information content seem to be performing much better then Hoeffdings D. I will certainly try them.

regards