Graduate certificate in biostatistics...worth it?

Hello everyone

glad to be on this forum. I am masters student, currently studying health sciences. Although the program's name is health sciences, most of my graduate training and courses have been in epidemiology, multivariate and univariate statistics and over the years I have become interested in research design and biostatistics.

I have been a self-learner and have learned SAS and SPSS along with other techniques on my own (although learn is a broad word, i would say above average familiarity to be modest).

Given that my program is health sciences, I have been pondering the idea of applying for a graduate certificate in biostatistics (from a university) - to learn more and have a credential to back my knowledge/ obtain employment.

Given that my degree's name is health sciences, do you see it as a disadvantage in looking for biostatistics as a career? Most my courses are in epi, stats, research design, similar to other epi, biostat degrees, and I have ample analysis experience (of course no nested multilevel Bayesian random effect model !)

Would a certificate help with employment?

Warm regards and thank you for your advice

Last edited:

noetsi

Fortran must die
Although I don't know the job market in your field I doubt you can go wrong with getting a statistics certificate because you will amost certainly find few have it. Something that sets you apart is always a good thing. As long as it does not take too much additional time to get.

There are lots of job sites for technical jobs (IDEA is one I think although its been a while since I looked). You can go there and see how many biostatistics jobs there are and what they require to get a job. Commonly they will list credentials required.

hlsmith

Not a robit
I am familiar with your field and I would say the coursework within the certificate will likely be about 50% redundant to what you already had. If it was at the same university and would only take the completion of a couple classes then maybe. If it is at a different university, I would just say take a couple of additional classes of interest where you are at and you should be fine. Your current work experience will be your foot in the door. If you are not currently working, you are missing your opportunity to network and laydown a track record of hands-on analytic experience.