HELPPP: find λ

obh

What distribution? exponential?
What did you try to do? (hint, adding ln to both size of the equation, ln(x^y) = y ∙ ln(x))

How? I'm thinking this is a statistics class assignment. You could use Excel GoalSeek in a more general case, but I think that probably the tables solution is the one wanted here because the answer comes out exactly to a nice round number.

obh

Yes, it looks like assignment. But they should stop using old tables in assignments! it doesn't make sense.
like they don't use slide rules anymore ...

It's not an easy problem without special software. Try to find λ given that P(X>4) = 0.1
So, Shaolu, are you working with tables?

You may also do a loop in R, I just used brute force ... a binary search would be more elegant

q=0.0527
x=4
#-----
p=1
delta=0.01
p1=1-q

lambda=0.01
while (p>p1)
{
lambda=lambda+delta
p=ppois(x,lambda)
}
lambda-delta

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I don't hate tables. Part of the course typically is learning how to read charts and graphs. The tables really aren't that complex and a student should be able to understand them.

I really don't hate tables, and I also liked to play with my grand father's slide ruler when I was a kid.
But I think it is important to learn to use the tables exactly as it is important to learn to use the slide rule.
Where is the next slide rule class? :)

slide_rule.jpg