Hierarchical linear model/ Regression Analysis

E

Eleni A

Hello everyone,
It may sound really basic for some of you, but, can I use a hierarchical linear model if my participants are students nested within classes in two different schools?
The independent variable is only one (my therapeutic intervention), and my design has two groups (experimental vs. waitlist) within each class. Can I use the HLM to predict my dependent variable post- intervention based on my independent variable while controlling for demographic factors? I just want to make sure that I can still use it if I only have one independent variable which will be the intervention. If not, can I use simple regression instead? I've read that the HLM is an appropriate statistical tool for research in educational settings with nested data.
Thank you in advance!

You can use HLM for the type of data you specified in your question. You can also refer the following paper on HLM
Woltman, Heather, et al. "An introduction to hierarchical linear modeling." Tutorials in Quantitative Methods for Psychology8.1 (2012): 52-69.
Editor
ISJMI

E

Eleni A

You can use HLM for the type of data you specified in your question. You can also refer the following paper on HLM
Woltman, Heather, et al. "An introduction to hierarchical linear modeling." Tutorials in Quantitative Methods for Psychology8.1 (2012): 52-69.
Editor
ISJMI
Thank you very much!