How do I organise vignette study in SPSS?

Hello,

I am a 3rd-year forensic psychology student. My dissertation project includes 4 vignettes that differentiate between each other by two variables (intoxicated vs sober & provocatively vs neutrally dressed). Under each vignette, I pasted the same set of questions including the Illinois Rape Myth Acceptance Scale (19 items) and Global Belief in Just World (8 items). When I exported the data into SPSS I obtained around 140 columns which overwhelms me a lot and unable me to test the data for assumptions or internal consistency. How do I organise it or combine them into one column for each question instead of having 4??? My study includes 4 independent variables: victim's clothing and intoxication level, participants' age and just world belief. My dependent variable is rape myth acceptance. Please help my deadline is in a month! print screen.jpg

Karabiner

TS Contributor
I suppose that you have 4 experimental grous, one for each condition (vignette)?
In that case you need 1 column in which you put the information whether a subject
was presented with "intoxicated" or with "sober"; and another column for
"provocatively dressed" versus "neutral". You already have the column for age.
You need 8 columns for the just world items, and finally, 19 columns for
the RMA. Im am not sure how your data is organized at present, or why
the same subject in your screenshot can have 2*8 JWB items.

With kind regards

Karabiner

I suppose that you have 4 experimental grous, one for each condition (vignette)?
In that case you need 1 column in which you put the information whether a subject
was presented with "intoxicated" or with "sober"; and another column for
"provocatively dressed" versus "neutral". You already have the column for age.
You need 8 columns for the just world items, and finally, 19 columns for
the RMA. Im am not sure how your data is organized at present, or why
the same subject in your screenshot can have 2*8 JWB items.

With kind regards

Karabiner
Thank you that's make much more sense :)
I've got 2*8 JWB because the first 8 were statements regarding OTHERS and the following 8 regarding YOURSELF. So, basically JWB scale has 16 items not 8, I made a mistake in the post. Sorry about that. BTW: in one of the experimental group I missed one statement in JWB. Should I delete the item in all of them then? To make it even?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Have a look at the scale manual, how single missing values should be treated.
I suppose, if a case has just 1 missing value, the score will be calculated based
on the average of the remaining 7 items instead of 8 items for that particular case..

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
Have a look at the sclae manual, how single missing values should be treated.
I suppose, if a case has just 1 missing value, the score will be calculated based
on the average of the remaining 7 items instead of 8 items for that particular case..

With kind regards

Karabiner
Alright, there is nothing in the manual about missing values :/ But yeah it sounds correct what you are saying :) Thank you very much you save my day! If I'll have any more questions appearing while I am doing that is it ok to ask YOU under the post again? :D You are very helpful!