How to analyse my survey? Bayesian??

I am conducting a survey to find out the views of sports coaches; what barriers and facilitators do they think impede or would enhance their practise etc.

the survey has 18 questions, the first 7 of those are tick-box responses related to the demographics of the respondent

the final questions are a mixture between Likert responses and ranking questions. There are also a couple of open questions “other, please state”, “is there any other information….”.

I am struggling to understand how I would analyse my survey (other than the thematic analysis of the open questions and descriptives). My tutors have suggested that other students have had interesting results using Bayesian analysis. whilst I understand the very basic principle, on the whole subjective uncertainty etc, I struggle with statistics at any level past the usual T test, ANOVA etc.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any guidance as to where I might start?

One a similar journal does not outline how they analysed there like hurt or ranking questions other than saying they used SPSS. Another simply states that they used SPSS using chi squared test for descriptive statistics.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
My tutors have suggested that other students have had interesting results using Bayesian analysis.
Can you safely assume that they know what they are talking about? If yes, they should give you more
direct hints and advice, I suppose.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any guidance as to where I might start?
What are your research questions?

And How large is your sample size?

Might descriptive statistics be sufficient?

With kind regards

Karabiner

Can you safely assume that they know what they are talking about? If yes, they should give you more
direct hints and advice, I suppose.

What are your research questions?

And How large is your sample size?

Might descriptive statistics be sufficient?

With kind regards

Karabiner
Aiming for around 100 completed surveys.

I am just wondering how/why Bayesian analysis would work for a survey?!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
I am just wondering how/why Bayesian analysis would work for a survey?!
I'd say that it depends on the research questions. What one wants to find out, using the data at hand.
The kind of conclusions one wants to be able to draw from the data.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for the delay.

the research questions are

1. What are the potential barriers and facilitators regarding the implementation of a neuromuscular screening tool for use by grass-roots soccer coaches?
  2. What is the current knowledge, perceptions and confidence levels of grass-roots soccer coaches regarding the utilisation of a neuromuscular screening tool?
I’m looking to ideally obtain 100 responses, based on 417 being invited to complete the survey and a 20-30ish return rate. I’ve added the link to Facebook groups with over 100,000 members.... and only got 2 responses so far :-D

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Well, for what you describe, all you need is descriptive statistics.
None of your research questions goes beyond [quote:] "the thematic
analysis of the open questions and descriptive statistics."

With kind regards

Karabiner

Well, for what you describe, all you need is descriptive statistics.
None of your research questions goes beyond [quote:] "the thematic
analysis of the open questions and descriptive statistics."

With kind regards

Karabiner
thanks for the reply. I've gone back to them to ask for more info. One of the recent grads did say they found survey analysis a steep learning curve... but not said how/why....