How to calculate significant differences

Hi Everyone..

I am stuck on one of my assignment questions. I have two samples, let's say List of employees in one Department A each with an average salary, as well as for Department B each with an average salary. I have been ask to calculate if there is a significant (p=0.05) difference between the average salaries of employees in Department A and the average salaries of Employees in Department B. Can anyone please help me on this? How do i do it?

what are you thinking? You have class notes and a text book I assume.

Check out this link (-click here-) for out HW guidelines.
I just want an example, or a brief explanation so I can apply it on my 15,000 records of data.. I have read notes and listened to youtube videos, but the more I read, the more I get confused.. I have tried the Excel "t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Unequal Variances", Now I don't know how to interpret the results.. Maybe you can tell me what is the best test for this kind of statistical problem..

trinker

ggplot2orBust
"t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Unequal Variances"
Based on what you've said above this approach sounds reasonable.

Now I don't know how to interpret the results
If you post the results we can help you interpret them. The p.value and/or test statistic is really important to interpreting the results.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Performing a statistical test on a mean difference with a sample of
15'000 subjects sounds rather absurd. There is no need for a t-test,
one can just interpret the descriptive statistics.

With kind regards

K.

Performing a statistical test on a mean difference with a sample of
15'000 subjects sounds rather absurd. There is no need for a t-test,
one can just interpret the descriptive statistics.

With kind regards

K.
Thanks, how do I then determine the significance difference based on the descriptive statistics..

Based on what you've said above this approach sounds reasonable.

If you post the results we can help you interpret them. The p.value and/or test statistic is really important to interpreting the results.
Thank you, below are my results. I have given the results different colors, blue for lets say Department A and red for department B.

t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Unequal Variances

Average salary - associate professors_typeIIA| Average compensation - associate professors_TypeIIB
Mean 554.6814404 | 477.6027397
Variance 6227.756571| 7325.62579
Observations 361| 584
Hypothesized Mean Difference 0|
df 810|
t Stat 14.12084311|
P(T<=t) one-tail 6.1329E-41|
t Critical one-tail 1.64673699 |
P(T<=t) two-tail 1.22658E-40|
t Critical two-tail 1.962897021|

Thank you again..

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Well you have to know if this is a one or two tailed test (is it directional?). Then look at the appropriate p values. If it's less than your preset alpha level there's a sig. diff. Or you could look at the critical value. If the t stat surpasses that value (larger than on positive end or smaller than on negative end then you have significant diff.