How to fix mistake of changing psychometric seven point scale to a five point scale?

:shakeheadHi my first research project uses 3 psychometric scales which have all been peered reviewed as valid & reliable. I mistakenly thought it would be more user friendly if the likert scales were consistent & changed one scale from a seven point scale to a five point scale.

I have already started collecting data - can I redeem this situation? or have I blown it?
Thanks I appreciate your assistance, I have to see my supervisor tomorrow & admit my mistake!

Cheers
Longpaddock

Re: How to fix mistake of changing psychometric seven point scale to a five point sca

:shakeheadHi my first research project uses 3 psychometric scales which have all been peered reviewed as valid & reliable. I mistakenly thought it would be more user friendly if the likert scales were consistent & changed one scale from a seven point scale to a five point scale.

I have already started collecting data - can I redeem this situation? or have I blown it?
Thanks I appreciate your assistance, I have to see my supervisor tomorrow & admit my mistake!

Cheers
Longpaddock
I have the same problem. I'm using secondary data so no changes are possible. I'm trying to see if using a Z-score, so standardizing my faulty likert scale could fix the problem. I'm not sure, but I'll keep looking for an answer. I'll post it here if I find one definitive...

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Re: How to fix mistake of changing psychometric seven point scale to a five point sca

What is preventing you from just using the 5 point scale, instead of trying to create more detail that does not exist in the metric?