How to format a null hypothesis without statistical analysis

I had to complete a research project that involved a cell membrane protein, and I had to find if there was a correlation to its presence on cells and nucleic acid expression. I had two kinds of cells that were identical except that one type had the protein and the other didn't. I concluded that there is a correlation between the membrane protein's presence and the levels of certain nucleic acids. That correlation was my project; whether there is a correlation or not between the protein's presence and nucleic acid expression. My hypothesis is in a "if..then.." format and my teacher wants a null hypothesis instead. I don't really know how to reformat my current hypothesis to null and alternative hypothesises. Any help would be great!

I had to complete a research project that involved a cell membrane protein, and I had to find if there was a correlation to its presence on cells and nucleic acid expression. I had two kinds of cells that were identical except that one type had the protein and the other didn't. I concluded that there is a correlation between the membrane protein's presence and the levels of certain nucleic acids. That correlation was my project; whether there is a correlation or not between the protein's presence and nucleic acid expression. My hypothesis is in a "if..then.." format and my teacher wants a null hypothesis instead. I don't really know how to reformat my current hypothesis to null and alternative hypothesises. Any help would be great!
For a testing a correlation (like Pearsons or Spearman's correlation), the null hypothesis is typically that there is no correlation, which is one that is equal to zero. It can be written as "H0: ρ = 0". The alternative is that there is a correlation and it is typically written as "H1: ρ ≠ 0". So, if you did a correlation, that is how you would write it. If you did something other than that, like compare the mean nucleic acids between the 2 groups (with vs. without protein presence), the null and alternative hypotheses would be stated differently.