How to normalise this data (cells per area)

Hi,

I am an undergrad student with some data to analyse and I'm not sure how to do it.

I will put it as simply as possible. I have to combine datasets with different values of starting cell numbers so I have to normalise them.

Experiment 1 - 1.5 million cells were added to a plate and the number of cells that adhered to the plate after 5 minutes were analysed (treatment 1 vs treatment 2). 2000 cells adhered following treatment 1 in a field of view 1024 x 1024 um.
Experiment 2 - 0.5 million cells were added to a plate and the number of cells that adhered to the plate after 5 minutes were analysed (treatment 1 vs treatment 2) 750 cells adhered following treatment in a field of view 1024 x 1024 um.

We want to combine data sets for analysis but a different number of cells were added at the start. How do we account for this/normalise. If you could advise me step by step to help me understand! Thank you!

obh

Hi SN,

I may lack some bio knowledge...
Do you compare treatment 1 vs treatment 2 in experiments and treatment 1 vs treatment 2 in experiments?
Or treatment 1 in experiment 1 vs treatment 2 in experiment 2?
Do you want to compare the ratio "adhered cells"/area? or the ratio of "adhered cells"/"initial added"
If you compare the ratio "adhered cells"/area, why does it matter the initial number added?
Is one plate really representative?

1. 2000/1,500,000 adhered, 1333.3/million
2. 750/500,000 adhered, 1500 / million
???
What is the precision of the measurement of millions or half millions of cells?
Are we in the weeds? This looks like the weeds!