How to test relation of two variables

hoda

I want to test relation of "multimodal transportation features" and "environmental performance". I am wondering which of this following series of questions can be asked and what test should be done in each case:

(i) I can ask two series of questions on "multimodal transportation features" and "environmental performance" and measure level of each indicators through 5-scale likert. For instance following questions can asked (one is for "multimodal transportation features" and the other is for "environmental performance"):
- Since we employed multimodal transportation, we have more utilization of excess capacities.
(1) strongly agree (2) agree (3) neutral (4) disagree (5) strongly agree
- Since we employed multimodal transportation, we have less enrgy consumption.

(ii) The second type of question can be asked directly on relation of these two variables:
- By employing multimodal transportation, we consume less energy sources as we have more utilization of excess capacities.

If I ask first series of questions, I will have a very long questionnaire which reduces rate of response. But I am not sure if I can test relation of "multimodal transportation features" and "environmental performance" through second type of questions.

Please let me know your idea on which questions are better to ask and which tests should be done for each of them.

Your help is really appreciated.