How to type this Symbol in MS Word?

arun

Hi there, as I am writing an article for journal submission, I have to type the following Poisson mixture representation in my paper. I am using Ms word 2010 for this purpose. I tried a lot by searching the available options in MS word equation option,but I couldn't find the exact way of typing something like this (particularly the middle notation) in Ms word?
Or is it possible to type this in something like Latex and move to Word? (I am not familiar with Latex though)

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciable. Thank you.

BGM

TS Contributor
\( \text{Poisson}(\Theta)\bigwedge_{\Theta}\text{Gamma}(\alpha, \beta) \)

I don't have 2010 with me so I am not sure about the built-in equation editor in word.

You may look for something extra like MathType but I am not sure the symbol is included in the newest version or not. And also note that is not portable - it means that you cannot edit the object if you open the file without MathType installed. You can only view it and print it.

In LaTeX you are looking for the symbol \bigwedge.

In the worst case you can still paste it as a picture... but that won't be good.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
And just in case you don't know how to check the code used to generate that... here it is
Code:
\text{Poisson}(\Theta)\bigwedge_{\Theta}\text{Gamma}(\alpha, \beta)
This would be LaTeX code though

arun

Thank you for your kind suggestions. I will check with MathType. As your said, I cannot use LateX as I can't have image like equations. thank you Dason too.

spunky

Can't make spagetti
when i have to do that i usually go to the "Insert" menu tab right next to the "Start" tab and aaaaalll the way till the end there is a huge \(\pi\) symbol where you can do some very basic writting and editing of equations. it's a little bit frustraing to use but if you're only writting some basci stuff it's relatively straightforward...

spunky

Can't make spagetti
here. i attached an example of what you did but on my MS Words. i could not get the \(\Theta\) under the operator though... i'm not sure MSWords will even let you do that... :(

arun

Thank you spunky. However, this is not the one I am looking for.. I nee to put {\Theta} under that symbol.
I just installed MathType and searched, but couldn't find anything. Also, I tried to copy the Dason's LateX code into MathType and checked. But this also DOESN'T WORK.

I am still searching!

BGM

TS Contributor
Actually you may try the following in MathType:

1. use the subscript template "large operator with subscript limit"
2. Insert the small wedge symbol (logical and, from logical symbols), and theta (or anysubscript you want) below it
3. Enlarge it so that the size looks like other big operators.

See if that is satisfactory.

Hi there, as I am writing an article for journal submission, I have to type the following Poisson mixture representation in my paper. I am using Ms word 2010 for this purpose. I tried a lot by searching the available options in MS word equation option,but I couldn't find the exact way of typing something like this (particularly the middle notation) in Ms word?
Or is it possible to type this in something like Latex and move to Word? (I am not familiar with Latex though)

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciable. Thank you.
Hi there,

Although you can use MathType, Microsoft's equation editor works perfectly fine. It's a lot like Latex, too, in its codes.

Activate Microsoft's Equation Editor by pressing Alt and =. Then, type the following, without quotes, "Poisson(\Theta)\bigwedge_(\Theta)Gamma(\alpha, \Beta)."

Also, you can't just copy and paste this. You have to type it in manually. I attached the sheet.

Let me know if that worked. It works here. Make sure you have Microsoft's Equation Editor installed.

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited:

arun

Thank you all. after I tried all the above suggested, the one "S-C-3-1-3 " suggested works perfectly for me.
Thanks a ton.