Huge t-statistic vs Hetero. and Auto.

Lets say I am working with time-series and I regressed y on x and I get a huge t-statistic, lets say 15. Would it be reasonable to assume that even if there is heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation, the relationship between x and y is still statistically significant because t-statistic is so huge. I've seen this done boeore, so I doubt it is wrong (totally wrong), but this looks strange. Any thoughts on this?

mp83

TS Contributor
When aytoCorr or heteroSc is present then standard errors are poorly estimated. Then you have to estimate them using a robust estimate, i.e White etc. Those estimates will be larger than the initial and therefor reduce the the t-statistics.

So , no matter the hugeness (sic) of t you have to go through this procedure.

Hope it doesn't ruin your x-y relationship!

When aytoCorr or heteroSc is present then standard errors are poorly estimated. Then you have to estimate them using a robust estimate, i.e White etc. Those estimates will be larger than the initial and therefor reduce the the t-statistics.

So , no matter the hugeness (sic) of t you have to go through this procedure.

Hope it doesn't ruin your x-y relationship!
Calculating robust standard errors actually increased my t-statistic to 23.5! The problem is that I get a Durbin-Watson of 0.146, which is of course to low, e.i. I have a bad autocorrelation problem. I wonder if t-statistic of 23.5 can make up for that.

If I put my variables in first differences, there is no more relationship, but then again first differencing often lead to the loss of information.

Thanks again.

mp83

TS Contributor
I don't get that. When using White or something like that the only thing that chenge is s.e (which get larger) and that the denominator og the T statistic.So provided that the estimete remains unchanged (which is the situation hear) the t should get smaller.

By the way, what's your R square?

I have two time-series variables, both are in logs, say y and x. If I regress y on x whithout using robust standard erros my t-statistic is about 15, if I regress it with robust standard erros the t-statistic goes up to 23.5.

Btw, what's the formula for the white's standard errors? I googled around for it, but couldn't find it.

I think those are the formula's stata uses:

OLS variance estimator:
VOLS = s2 * (X'X)^-1

where
N
s2 = (1/(N - k)) Σ ei^2
i=1

Robust (unclustered) variance estimator:
N
Vrob = (X'X)^-1 * [ Σ (ei*xi)' * (ei*xi) ] * (X'X)^-1
i=1

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/cluster.html