"index out of range" error ethnograph

noetsi

No cake for spunky
#1
I doubt anyone uses this software, but if they do does anyone know what causes this error? I am trying to do code counts (something I have done many times before) and I get this error.
 

noetsi

No cake for spunky
#3
I don't know what that means exactly or more importantly how to fix it (I really don't know what an index is in software).
 

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
#4
I've never used the software but as of right now that's about the best I think anybody could do. Your problem description is the equivalent of going to a mechanic and saying "My car is making a noise". I probably won't be able to help with your problem because I've never used the software but you would do well by going through the suggestions in the smart posting guidelines (mainly point #5) http://www.talkstats.com/showthread.php/14960-Forum-Guidelines-Smart-posting-behavior-pays-off
 

noetsi

No cake for spunky
#5
I simply click on "code count" which is a basic feature of ethnograph that list how many times you have coded a specific code- essentially a discriptive measure like running a frequency. I get the 'index is out of range' when I do that along with a picture showing that the 'update code count list' appears to have stoped at 89 percent.

What I am doing is super basic to ethnograph, I have never encountered this error before in the years I have used it. It is sort of like saving software. It might be that the software itself is corrupted or breaking down as it is about 4 years old. The module has closed several times unexpectedly.

I looked for errors associated with ethnograph on line and found nothing.
 

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
#6
It could be an issue with your data. But we don't really know anything about your data. So it's hard to say.
 

noetsi

No cake for spunky
#7
Its not my data. I am using, as is normal with ethnograph, a word file as the data source. I have done exactly the same thing I am now with the same data source many times without a problem. This involves something very basic to ethnograph. Maybe it got corrupted over time or maybe my system went down when it was operating - something that messes up SAS as well in strange way.

Thanks for your help dason. I was actually hoping, not very much admitedly, that someone here had encountered this problem before. It is something inherent in ethnograph that is malfunctioning. Not anything I did or the data etc. What I am doing and the nature of ethnograph is too basic for that to be the issue.