introductory books for maximum likelihood??

spunky

Can't make spagetti
hey there everyone. i'm preparing to teach a quick one-week workshop aimed mostly at social/behavioural/health science people about parameter estimation through maximum likelihood... i'm a tad bit concerned because i'd like to make this as easy as possible to everyone (please bear in mind my general audience has little-to-none knowledge of formal statistics) and all the chapters/books i have are geared towards people who have, at the very least, some undergraduate mathematics under their belt...

does anyone know of any books, articles or reading materials that give a nice, clear intro to maximum likelihood estimation? particularly Dempster's Expectation-Maximisation algorithm since every now and then i get people asking me how does it work or an easy example to follow and i'm like "darn... how do i begin?"

thanks guys!

spunky

Can't make spagetti
thank you very much ImEngine... just in case anyone runs into a situation similar to mine, i found the following book to be very useful:

Eliason, S. (1993). Maximum Likelihood Estimation: Model and Practice. Sage University Press (it's also available online). i still digest most of the info for my students to make it as clear and understandable as possible, but things have been working pretty alrighty so far.

thanks!!