Joint Density f(X,Y) integration when there is no Y in the eqn

Hi I'm having difficulties with integration by parts when the main function of a joint distribution doesn't contain the Y. Here it is:

Let X and Y have a joint density given by f(X,Y)=a(1−X), 0≤X≤1,0≤Y ≤1
and zero elsewhere. Where, k is a constant.

(a) Find the value of a that makes this a probability density function. Use this
value for a in the pdf to work out the remaining questions.
(b) Find the marginal distribution of X and Y, i.e. f(X) and f(Y ).
(c) Find E(X), E(Y ), E(Y |X) and V ar(X|Y ).
(d) Find E[6X −12Y] and Var(2X −3Y)
(e) Find Cov(XY ) and the correlation ρxy
(f) Are X and Y independent? Show this using two alternative ways.

For part (a) I'm getting a value of a=-2 but I don't think that it's correct. I haven't moved any further in the question as all the others are dependent on this answer. Any help would be great!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It seems to me you must have switched a negative somewhere. Notice that if a = -2 then for any (x,y) in the support of the distribution you have your joint density has a negative value. This can't happen.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I don't quite get what's causing the problems I guess. Integrate with respect to x and then with respect to y?

[math] \int_0^1 \int_0^1 f(x,y) dx dy = \int_0^1 \int_0^1 a(1-x) dx dy [/math][math]= a \int_0^1 \int_0^1 (1-x) dx dy = a \int_0^1 1/2 dy = a/2 [/math]

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
The step where I integrate with respect to x?

[math] \int_0^1 (1-x) dx = \left. x - (1/2)x^2 \right|_0^1 = (1 - 1/2) - (0 - 0) = 1/2 [/math]

Wow, apparently I thought 1-1/2 = -1/2 weird. Big thanks. Another thing: In the case where I'm doing part a. Do I interpret the question as prove:
1. f(xy)>=0
2. \int_0^1 \int_0^1 f(xy)dxdy = 1

so that in part 2 - the part you explained to me, i would conclude 1 = a/2 Therefore a = 2?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Wow, apparently I thought 1-1/2 = -1/2 weird.
No worries. It happens to the best of us. I once spent an additional hour working on a measure theory question because I couldn't get something to work out because I made the mistake of saying 1 + 1 = 1.

sad but true.
Big thanks. Another thing: In the case where I'm doing part a. Do I interpret the question as prove:
1. f(xy)>=0
2. \int_0^1 \int_0^1 f(xy)dxdy = 1

so that in part 2 - the part you explained to me, i would conclude 1 = a/2 Therefore a = 2?
It's not perfectly clear to me that the parts you're referencing are the same as they were in the first post but oh well. Essentially I think what you're saying is what you want to do. You need to show those two facts (always non-negative and integrates to 1) and that the value of a that gives you that is 2. You should be good to move on to the other parts after that.

For part B of the question. How do I approach finding the marginal distribution f(X) and f(Y) when there isn't a Y in the equation?

For the marg distrn f(x) = inty a(1-x)dy I get = a(1-2x) as the marg distrbn. And I get a(1/2) as the marg distrbn of f(y)

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
For part B of the question. How do I approach finding the marginal distribution f(X) and f(Y) when there isn't a Y in the equation?

For the marg distrn f(x) = inty a(1-x)dy I get = a(1-2x) as the marg distrbn. And I get a(1/2) as the marg distrbn of f(y)
Now that you know that a = 2 you should probably just replace any mention of a with 2. I don't quite understand what you're doing here:
nty a(1-x)dy I get = a(1-2x) as the marg distrbn

Remember that you're integrating with respect to y and anything without a y is just a constant. So 2(1-x) is just a constant so if you want you could do this:
[math] \int_0^1 2*(1 - x) dy = 2*(1-x) \int_0^1 1 dy = 2*(1-x) * (1-0) = 2*(1-x)[/math]

Sorry. I'll try and make this more clear. Currently I'm working on these questions:

(b) Find the marginal distribution of X and Y, i.e. f(X) and f(Y ).

For (b) I did the following:

[math]
f(x) = \int_y f(x,y) dy = \int_y a(1-x) dy = a \int_y (1-x) dy = a \left. 1y-x \right|_0^1 = a(1-x-0-x)

[/math]
This simplifies to = a(1-2x) as the marginal distribution of X.

[math]
f(y) = \int_x f(x,y) dx = \int_x a(1-x) dx = a \int_x (1-x) dx = a \left. 1x-x^2/2 \right|_0^1

[/math]
This simplifies to = a[1-1/2-0-0] = a(1/2) as the marginal distribution of Y.

I'm completely unsure if I can do those operations though. Especially after reading your most recent suggestion.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
[math]
a \int_y (1-x) dy = a \left. 1y-x \right|_0^1 = a(1-x-0-x)

[/math]
Here is your problem. Remember that you're integrating with respect to y. This means x is a constant so
[math] 2 \int_0^1 (1-x) dy = \left. 2 * (1*y - x*y) \right|_0^1[/math]

Ok that makes sense for the marginal distribution of X, but what about Y? I get the following for Y

[math]
f(y) = \int_x a(1-x) dx = 2 \int_0^1 (1-x) dx = 2(\left. 1x-x^2/2) \right|_0^1 = 2(1-1/2-0-0) =1
[/math]

So my question regarding the marginal distribution of Y is: Is it ok for it to just take the value 1? I thought it should be something with a variable in it.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Well if you really want to be technical you do have a variable in there. It's really 1 times the indicator function that y is between 0 and 1. Y has a uniform distribution on [0,1] is all that that says.

Ah ok, thank you! I'm on to part

I get the following for E(X) which I think is correct:
[math]
E(x)=\int_x xf(x) dx = \int_0^1 xa(1-x) dx = a \int_0^1 1x-x^2 dx = a \left. (1x^2/2 - x^3/3) \right|_0^1 = 1/3
[/math]

But when I do it for E(y) I run into a problem on the 6th step:
[math]
E(y)=\int_y yf(y) dy = \int_0^1 ya(1-x) dy = a\int_0^1 y(1-x) dy = a\int_0^1 (y-xy) dy
[/math]
[math]
= a \left.(y^2/2-xy^2/2) \right|_0^1 = a(1/2 - x1/2 - 0 - 0)
[/math]

I don't know what to do with the X in a(1/2 - x1/2 - 0 - 0). I need to solve for a single number for E(y) but the x is giving me problems.

BGM

TS Contributor
You still have not get the correct marginal pdf for [math] Y [/math].

Note

[math] f_Y(y) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f_{X, Y}(x, y) dx
= \int_0^1 a(1 - x)dx, 0 < y < 1 [/math]

is independent of x, as you have already integrate the dummy variable [math] x [/math] out.

Actually, from the given joint density, without doing the integration you
can immediately tell [math] Y \sim \mathrm{Uniform}(0, 1) [/math]
and is independent from [math] X [/math].

Ok, firstly, can [math]f(x,y) = a(1-x), 0=<X=<1, 0=<Y=<1 [/math] be seen to be uniform before any work is completed?

Which leads to my next question, how can I deduce that

Actually, from the given joint density, without doing the integration you
can immediately tell [math] Y \sim \mathrm{Uniform}(0, 1) [/math]
and is independent from [math] X [/math].
What is the process to come to that result?

Lastly, would the marginal distribution of Y then simply be
[math]
f(y) = a(1-x)
[/math]