Learning Statistics independently?

Hello,

I'm an adult learner, taking second term of Statistics through an online undergraduate program.
The course uses R, which I love, and an original textbook which I find difficult to follow.
I would like to continue learning statistics beyond this class, unfortunately my program does not offer any others.

Does anyone have a recommendation for learning materials, such as books and online resources,
which are especially lucid?

I have several excellent R books, Data analysis and graphics using R, and Applied Statistics with S, and I am looking for something similar in writing style for basic statistics and probability.

Otherwise, maybe just a list of concepts to master first.

Thank you,

m

bugman

Super Moderator
Hi mechnik

I totally understand where you are coming from because I was an adult learner when I put myself on a self taught path after my MSc (btw I am soon to begin an applied Stats MSc).

Are you taking stats as a decipline on its own or are you focusing in Biology, Finance..?

Here are a couple that I have found to be invaluable:

1) BIOMETRy - Sokal and Roff
2) Statistical Design and Data analysis for biologists - Quinn and Keough (by and for biologists but the concepts are really well expalined - but they use biological examples).

Anyway, one book that I have found invaluable (some may disagree because I know its had mixed reviews) is "The R Book" by Micheal Crawley.

The R home page has an excellent bibliography of R poublications.

But others I have found useful include:

1) An R and S companion to appllied regression
2) Mixed Effects Models in S and S-plus
and
3) A handbook of statistical analysis using R.

P.

Thank you so much.
I do not have any particular discipline in mind.
I will take a close look at 'The R Book'.
I did read some reviews, if I recall Crawley is seen as some interloper, but I should be check it out for myself.

Thank you again.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I might be recalling incorrectly but I think a part of what some people didn't like about The R Book was that Crawley isn't part of the R development team and hasn't made any real useful packages so he isn't really part of the active R community. Which may or may not be a good thing depending on your point of view.

bugman

Super Moderator
That's right Dason. He was heavily criticised for that in some early reviews of his book and it really caused a bit of a stir within the R community. Despite this, I have learnt a great deal from his book since it is written without the assumption that the reader has a strong programming background (like me).