Linux

bukharin

RoboStataRaptor
<--- long term Gentoo user on both desktop and server

It's not as good as it used to be. I will be switching to Arch when I next upgrade my server.

bugman

Super Moderator
I run Xubuntu at home. I started off with Ubuntu 2D because my system is old (single core, oh noes!!).
Sounds like my current situation. Once I deciedon my desktop distro, I'm going to install Xubuntu to my laptop.

I have ubuntu 2D still, mianly because I have been too lazy to change.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Sounds like my current situation. Once I deciedon my desktop distro, I'm going to install Xubuntu to my laptop.

I have ubuntu 2D still, mianly because I have been too lazy to change.
Seriously, all it took to "change" was an apt-get install. I forget the package (xubuntu-desktop?). It basically downloads all the Xubuntu components. Then log off and sign in changing which desktop you want to use (I think it's a gear or something you click for the options). "Too lazy" is no excuse lol

Thanks Bukharin. I'll definitely use Arch instead then. I don't know what the whole big thing about Portage is. I like the Debian package manager Ubuntu uses. You can usually always get the source and compile it, as long as it is provided that way. Maybe it doesn't have additional stuff to improve management? In any case, I'm not so in need of absolute optimization, but it would be a fun project system to utilize (and good experience).

We use SunOS Solaris 9 here at work. I don't know too much about linux/unix, but I've had to get comfortable using the environment over the last month. We use SAS, R and I think Stata as well. I have gvim setup as an editor, with some nice short cuts programmed by the seniors here.

I'd love to get linux on my home computer, which version do you think might be good to start with? Ubuntu seems like a popular choice.

Best,

bugman

Super Moderator
I've heard SunOS is very good.

As a fairly recent convert toLinux, I would recommend ubunutu, but I also liked Mint. I am currently try xubuntu, which is working great on my old laptop.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Yeah, Ubuntu is my standard desktop now. It's got everything I'll need, and if you can run the Unity 3D version, it's just as flashy and exciting as Windows and Mac (more Mac-esque, I think). My hardware is old, so Xubuntu is a good choice. It has a classic Windows feel to it without being too classic (read "old"). If you're comfortable with SunOS I would think you'd be comfortable with Linux. Solaris is not too far off from *nix. In fact, you really just have the choice of the Unix-esque OS versus Windows. One has a uniform standard that costs a ton. The other comes in a great variety and often free!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
... I'm not a huge fan of unity. Gnome Shell is nice though. But I prefer Gnome2 at the moment. I'm sure the gnome devs will make everything nicer but there were too many things that could have gone better when they rolled out Gnome3 in my opinion.

bukharin

RoboStataRaptor
I don't know what the whole big thing about Portage is
It's neat because it allows you to install everything from source without having to worry too much about dependencies (which are all sorted for you) or configuration options (which you generally set up with global tags and then forget about). If you want to install a package you literally just type "emerge packagename" and it's downloaded, configured, compiled and installed in one step. Upgrading is therefore also extremely easy and you can upgrade just the packages that you choose to upgrade rather than needing to reinstall the entire OS every 6 months as often happens with other distributions. I ran a Gentoo desktop as my primary OS for about 5 years on a single installation. On other distros I found that every time I installed a new version, something broke and I'd spend a while fixing it.

The problem is that if your portage tree gets broken it can be enormously difficult to fix. Also, if you don't update your packages often enough, you can run into dependency hell because the older versions of source files are no longer available from the portage repository... and they sometimes make major changes that break things without adequate notice, so you can accidentally hose your system. This is the main reason that I stopped using Gentoo - it became difficult to maintain a stable production system. The other reason was that there was a prolonged period where they stopped emailing security notices (this seems to have improved in the last few months).

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
The problem is that if your portage tree gets broken it can be enormously difficult to fix. Also, if you don't update your packages often enough, you can run into dependency hell because the older versions of source files are no longer available from the portage repository... and they sometimes make major changes that break things without adequate notice, so you can accidentally hose your system. This is the main reason that I stopped using Gentoo - it became difficult to maintain a stable production system. The other reason was that there was a prolonged period where they stopped emailing security notices (this seems to have improved in the last few months).
For what it's worth similar things can happen with Arch.

bugman

Super Moderator
... I'm not a huge fan of unity.
You have mentioned this before and I am interested - what don't you like about it? I know a couple of people who aren't fans.I guess I dont know enough about them to really understand their limitations and potential at present.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
You have mentioned this before and I am interested - what don't you like about it? I know a couple of people who aren't fans.I guess I dont know enough about them to really understand their limitations and potential at present.
I guess I never responded to this - sorry about that.

The main thing was that a lot of things didn't quite work as nicely and some things you can't customize at all. It's a little better now but I still don't like it as much as other alternatives.

So for a while I was using Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome-shell. I actually didn't mind it and felt it was decent. However, I think there was something going on with the way gnome3 and my graphics card were interacting that it would just cause the entire system to be essentially unresponsive every now and then. I could move my mouse but I couldn't interact with anything. This happened on essentially any distro that I tried to use gnome3 on (Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch...) so I decided that that just wasn't for me.

Right now I'm using Mint 13 with the MATE desktop which is basically a fork of the gnome2 desktop that the mint developers are maintaining. I really like it. If you liked gnome2 and wish the major distros wouldn't have forced the upgrade to gnome3 then I would recommend giving this a try. Mint is quite nice and I think this is what I'll recommend to anybody that wants to give Linux a try.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
What features of MATE make it appealing? What are the minor things that other desktop environments fail to provide that make you go "yuck" and prefer gnome2 or Mint now? I like xfce for it's low profile (I don't think I've ever used my page file once yet), but there are some serious flaws. I'm not a fan of Thunar, but all in all, it works. I'd still like something that isn't too heavy yet still pretty slick in its unification and capabilities. I'm seriously considering making the switch sometime this summer to Debian+xfce, but I'm still open to options. I should just try toying with some VMs to get a taste.

vinux

Dark Knight
Ubuntu
Ubuntu 12.04 is pretty good compare to the previous versions. Dash home searches are must faster. Now it is very difficult to go other than Unity(me). One best part of the unity is utilisation of the screen. As Dason mentioned there is some bugs in the GUI ( occurs around once a day, now it is reduced). I hope some bugs always happen with first few months of the release.

One irritating thing for me was pressing Alt key. It opens the HUD. I changed to some other combination and it works well.

One of the version in 11.04 or 11.10, there was no shutdown without using mouse( one can always create shortcut). Hibernate was another issue. Once it is in hibernate, there is 50% chance of restart the machine.( This problem still exists in Linux mint 13 Cinnamon).

Linux Mint
One problem of Linux mint I mentioned above. I always suggest Linux mint for one who is using Linux first time. But I guess it should be Kubuntu/PCLinux. There is one more problem I found in Linux mint is the slow speed of software center ( I installed mint 13 cinnamon on Core2Due machine). The speed is very slow compare to Ubuntu software center.

I am planning to use arch linux after two months. Past experience was good, great learning and spending good amount of time.

vinux

Dark Knight
One more note: Linux plays bit weird(Slow, distorted multimedia, hibernate issues) when the laptop running out of battery(less than 5-10%). I observed this in Unity, Cinnamon, Gnome2 desktop environment. This doesn't really happen in lxde or xfce. Does any one face this issue? What is triggering this? I guess explanation of cinnamon hibernate issue-abovepost- is this one( his battery backup was 5-10 minutes).

I am not well for the last few days. I got viral fever and I am supposed to spend bed rest for another 4-5 days. By this time I watched few movies and explore some youtube videos. There is a nice video/movie on Linux in youtube( I didn't know it exist in youtube). (Probably you geeks are already discussed in the chatbox. )
[YOUTUBE]CjaC8Pq9-V0[/YOUTUBE] **warning it is long.

you may find following video also interesting
VIDEO2 - Linux Ads
VIDEO3- may be funny

bugman

Super Moderator
I had some weird issues of blues tones and random stalls and crashes on you tube with gnome2. I reinstalled the graphics card and its now working perfectly.