locked down during lockdown :/

vub

hello friend,

I am undergoing a mental breakdown since I cannot find my way out of this problem. I'll give a short preface of the subject for those interested.

Writing a paper on prototypes based on: Posner & Keele / Smith & Minda. (for a school project testing our ability to write papers.)
based on their research we were given random data in which we have to test two hypotheses/

a) prototypes and old variables yield no significant p-value
b)prototypes have a shorter reaction time than new variables
C) old variables have a shorter reaction time than new variables

data given:
-24 participants
-3 conditions tested per participant
-each condition has 22 items.
-measurement= reaction time

we want to do a paired t-test and an independant t-test, but we do not know how to test this.
by using R, we can do a paired t-test (within-subject) but only per participant.
how can we include all observations from all participants to do a between subject t-test?

If I wasn't clear enough or you have questions you can contact me here or ask for my e-mail.

thanks in advance,

VUB

Attachments

I think you want to do a within-subjects one-way ANOVA. Each participant is in all 3 conditions. First calculate the mean RT by condition so that you have 3 values for each participant representing the mean RT for each condition. Then do the ANOVA on that data. Does that sound right to you?

vub

I think you want to do a within-subjects one-way ANOVA. Each participant is in all 3 conditions. First calculate the mean RT by condition so that you have 3 values for each participant representing the mean RT for each condition. Then do the ANOVA on that data. Does that sound right to you?
You're exactly right, I was so unsure about calculating with the MEAN RT. Hearing this from you made me a bit more sure I'm on the right track.
One way ANOVA is the best way I agree, but our teacher wants us to use T-tests, we did both. I thank you for your reply!