Login timeout?

The forum keeps logging me off when I spend a few minutes typing a post, I'm assuming because there's some kind of timeout set. Is there any way to adjust it to say, 15 minutes?

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
I am thinking this may be your device of protective software. I have a kindle at home and computer at work that are indefinitely logged in. I never have to login unless I clean out caches, etc in my control panels.

I just had the same problem. I was composing a post this morning. I wanted to include some tables from Excel and was having trouble getting them to align. I was actively working, typing, hitting Preview, etc. One time I hit Preview and found that I was not logged in and a post I had been working on for 20-30 minutes was lost.

Is there a timeout? Can it be disabled?

PS: I subscribe to many forums. I have only had this problem on one other and they do have a timeout.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
@jennifer I don't believe any such timeout exists within talkstats. Maybe i's your browser/connection etc.

I feel your pain on the work lost. It was recommended on talkstats that I use the lazarus add on for Chrome. This saves text boxes and form fields for later recovery. This has saved me the headache a number of times.

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
@jennifer I don't believe any such timeout exists within talkstats. Maybe i's your browser/connection etc.
there's definitely a timeout here. I experience it all the time. it's taught me to write all my replies on notepad before copy-pasting them because I just know the forum's gonna time me out

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
If you do that I think you'll stay logged in without timing out. If you're on a public computer you'll want to make sure to log out but if it's on your own computer it doesn't really matter.

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
If you do that I think you'll stay logged in without timing out. If you're on a public computer you'll want to make sure to log out but if it's on your own computer it doesn't really matter.
+1 internetz for restoring hope! :D

Do you click the 'remember me' option when logging in?
So are you saying that there is a timeout, but the "Remember me" setting overrides it?

It is my understanding that (on most forums) the "Remember me" setting is to prevent you having to log in across sessions, not to disable a timeout.

In any case, I have checked the "Remember me" setting several times and, despite its name, it does not remember that I have checked it.

Can we get one of the forum administrators to weigh in on this timeout thing? For me, it's a significant barrier to using the forum. I don't want to have to remember that this one forum requires me to compose messages in Word or Notepad because the forum might throw my work away at any time.

Also, other forums periodically save my work (I don't know where) so that if I lose the connection for any reason, it's there when I get back on.

I am using a fully up to date Firefox 26.0.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
There is only one admin so I guess we'll have to wait to hear from him. The remember me I believe is so that you don't have to log in across multiple session but it apparently also acts as a way to avoid the logout issue. If it seems that the browser doesn't remember your choice I wonder if you have something that clears cookies or the cache between sessions.

The issue with writing a post and then having it disappear because you were logged out can be frustrating - I would suggest the lazarus plugin to avoid this happening on any site.

There is only one admin so I guess we'll have to wait to hear from him. The remember me I believe is so that you don't have to log in across multiple session but it apparently also acts as a way to avoid the logout issue. If it seems that the browser doesn't remember your choice I wonder if you have something that clears cookies or the cache between sessions.

The issue with writing a post and then having it disappear because you were logged out can be frustrating - I would suggest the lazarus plugin to avoid this happening on any site.
Thank you for mentioning cookies. I just checked and I had forgotten to enable them for this site. Now it remember the Remember me setting. Alzheimer's cured!

However, the software should have warned me that cookies were disabled. Not just ignored my settings.

I try to avoid plugins as much as possible. Since I only have this problem on this site, I am loathe to install a plugin. I'm more likely to look for another discussion forum.

Maybe the admin will weigh in when he gets time.

I realized that everyone is probably a volunteer and no one is getting paid. I'm not trying to be pushy or demanding, but I also have to get work done.

That brings up another point. I don't expect people to work for nothing. If they want to, fine, but I don't expect it. I am willing to pay for value. I am a member of several forums that accept donations. Those that deliver value, get a donation from me. Maybe this forum should consider accepting donations. I just signed up today, so I don't know yet whether there is value here, but if there is, I will make a donation.

Cheers

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Once again, I have had a couple thousand posts here and I never remember being timed out. Perhaps, I am not taking as much time as you all, but I know that I am one of the slowest drafters of posts and emails around, so I find that difficult to believe.