Long live SAS

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Well they are just two different tools. I want to make a Ferrari vs Ford joke, but I have never seen that movie before.

Last edited:

noetsi

Fortran must die
lol dason.

Both do have advantages. R, for someone who has never learned to be a great coder, is harder to use than the SAS GUI (R has a GUI but only to write code with like a SAS editor). It does things that SAS will not do like auto.arima (SAS will do that, but it cost thousands of dollars to buy the system).

If you are a state employee using R can be problematic because state officials will not let you link to the cran. I had to fight to get access.

staassis

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm done with R. I'm going back to SAS which is clearly superior.
Interesting. I always viewed you as a member of the R camp. Well :(, one member less. Could there have been, perhaps, irony in your statement? I honestly hope so... SAS is completely inadequate for implementing an original method or strategy, instead of relying on methods known for the last 20 - 70 years.

staassis

I'm actually even considering removing the R forum here. Just a giant waste of software if you ask me...
Hedge funds use Python, R, Matlab, C++ and C#. No waste there. Billions sucked out of clients. Apartments in downtown Manhattan... SAS is for people who completely depend on somebody else for statistical / econometric advice. When Trevor Hastie developed elastic nets 20 years ago, where did they appear first? No waste of software; rather the only software where the method was available for a while.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Oh gee I hope not. I have been feeling like a news reporter lately though. Is that a symptom of COVID-19? It might sound weird but I've been feeling kind of like that reporter lady from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Not the hockey mask guy - Casey Jones... the other one - April O'Neil! I've been wanted to just report on how things are going and I do enjoy being around turtles. And telling you guys about my reformation with respect to SAS was just on the top of my list of things to do today.

It's kind of my April's first proclamation. So yeah ... I totally love SAS.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm done with R. I'm going back to SAS which is clearly superior.
Nah. R is useless.
I would go with excel but honestly I just love the SAS syntax. It just feels so modern programming in SAS.
I just want to say that I completely agree with @Dason.

I have switched back to Excel, which is the best when it comes to statistics
And with @gianmarco.

If you are a state employee using R can be problematic because state officials will not let you link to the cran.
But I have also heard that if you are a state employee in Iowa (in the USA) then you will no longer be allowed to download something from other states in the USA, like Indiana or Illinois. Virus as virus.