Measuring relationship (correlation?) between continuous and categorical variables

Really struggling with this so really appreciate help.

I want to measure the difference between language scores (scores between 1 and 300) and 6 different risk factors for language delay (all categorised) - birth weight, prematurity, motor development, family history etc. along with gender and twin/singleton status

How do I do this??

I was thinking multiple linear regression but is this measuring a relationship?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Re: Measuring relationship (correlation?) between continuous and categorical variable

Multiple linear regression can be used to model the relationship
between several predictor variables (interval scaled or binary)
and an interval scaled dependent variable, yes.

With kind regards

K.

Re: Measuring relationship (correlation?) between continuous and categorical variable

Great! Thanks for replying? Is there any other test that I can use besides multiple linear regression? I can't use Pearson r or ANOVA?

Karabiner

TS Contributor

ANOVA and linear regression are special cases
of the general linear model.

Pearson's r is for the analysis of correlation
between 2 variables.

With kind regards

K.

So would it be possible to use 2 way ANOVA

I have 1 dependent variable (continuous data - test scores) and 6 independent variables (categorical).

I want to measure the relationship between test scores and risk factors for language delay (the 6 independent variables i.e birth weight - underweight/normal weight)