Mix Methods design

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused on which design method I'm using. At one point it was a quasi-experimental nonequivalent group design. Here are some details:

1) I had a control group and an experimental group.
2) They were pre-existing self-selected groups (the groups were pre-existing and they were selected based on their willingness to be part of the study).
3) There was a pretest and posttest survey collecting quantitative data.
4) The experimental group had an intervention between the pretest and posttest.

However, my proposal committee asked me to add a question on the survey. The question was qualitative which, I believe, makes it mix methods.

So, how would I describe my research method?

Is it still quasi-experimental? Is it quasi-experimental nonequivalent group design with a mix-methods approach?

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated!

Peace - David.

Lazar

Phineas Packard
Hi All,

I'm a bit confused on which design method I'm using. At one point it was a quasi-experimental nonequivalent group design. Here are some details:

1) I had a control group and an experimental group.
2) They were pre-existing self-selected groups (the groups were pre-existing and they were selected based on their willingness to be part of the study).
3) There was a pretest and posttest survey collecting quantitative data.
4) The experimental group had an intervention between the pretest and posttest.

However, my proposal committee asked me to add a question on the survey. The question was qualitative which, I believe, makes it mix methods.

So, how would I describe my research method?

Is it still quasi-experimental? Is it quasi-experimental nonequivalent group design with a mix-methods approach?

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated!

Peace - David.
Depends on what you plan to do with the qualitative item. If it is something of real interest and you will be using something like grounded theory to analysis it then yes it is a mixed method study. If you are just going to use it as filler or transform the answers into something that you can quantify then it would probably be misleading to call it mixed methods.

In passing have you explored propensity score matching as a means of analysing your data.