Mixed Factorial ANOVA Question

Hi,
I'm currently trying to do a 2x2 mixed factorial ANOVA for my dissertation! I'm investigating whether participants who have a high or low level of self-esteem are attracted to potential mates who have a high or low level of self-esteem, so essentially whether similarity in mates is desired.
So my first variable is participants' level of self-esteem, with two levels of high or low. The second variable is the dating profiles used as potential mates, one profile has a high level of self-esteem, and the other has low. Participants are categorised into a high or low category based on questionnaire scores, and have to rate both the high and low dating profiles on attractiveness.
I'm confused as to which variable is the repeated measures variable and which is the independent variable here? I feel like the participants variable is independent, as they are categorised to only one group, and the profile variable is repeated, as participants rate both the high and low profiles on attractiveness. I've done the analysis this way and everything seems fine, but I keep worrying I've got these variables mixed up, can anyone help please?

Thank you!!

Karabiner

TS Contributor
So my first variable is participants' level of self-esteem, with two levels of high or low.
Why don't you use the self-esteem measure as is? There is no true threshold in reality for high versus low self-esteem. Dichotomization of continuous variables is almost always a bad idea, in theoretical terms and in statistical terms. You will waste a huge amount of information by dichotomizing, and you may produce absurd results. For example, participants with similar values near the cut-off will be categorized as being very different, while participants with e.g. extremely low self-esteem will be put into the same category as someone with a value slightly below cut-off.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1458573/
http://www.psychology.sunysb.edu/attachment/measures/content/maccallum_on_dichotomizing.pdf

I'm confused as to which variable is the repeated measures variable and which is the independent variable here?
"Stimulus" and "self esteem" are independent variables in your study ("stimulus" is also a repeated-measures factor), and perceived attractiveness is the dependent variable.

With kind regards

Karabiner