Mixed factorial ANOVA

Hi everyone,

I am trying to compare the performance of neurological patients and healthy controls on an auditory test including two different conditions. I am interested in the difference between groups (neurological vs healthy) and the difference in scores both between groups and within groups (the score on type 1 auditory stimulus versus type 2 auditory stimulus).

I followed the process of Analyze > General Linear Model > Repeated Measures and entered the factors (one for group type and one for auditory test type). The first problem that I encounter is that the window 'Within_subjects Variables' is full of additional options as if I had many more variables.

1567171257467.png

The other problem I have is that once I define my variables, the OK button does not become active. Plus I can't see how I can add some variables to both the within and the between subjects windows.

1567171465019.png
Any help would be hugely appreciated! I'm really stuck at the moment!

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

Karabiner

TS Contributor
.The first problem that I encounter is that the window 'Within_subjects Variables' is full of additional options as if I had many more variables.
So, somehow, in the first window of that procedure you must have told SPSS that you have 3 repeated measures factors, each with 2 levels.

The other problem I have is that once I define my variables, the OK button does not become active. Plus I can't see how I can add some variables to both the within and the between subjects windows.
Sorry, but I cannot understand why you put a grouping variable into a box which
explicitly is labeled "Within-subject-Variables" , instead of using the box labeled
as between-subject.

From what you described as your goal I would assume that you have 3 variables:
1 group variable, 1 variable for test performance in conditikn 1, 1 variabe for test performance in condition 2.
Or at least this is what would be needed to perform a mixed ANOVA with 1 repeated-measures factor (2 levels) and
1 grouping factor. From what I see ("stimulus type", i.e. condition?; and "absolute pitch" i.e. the dependent
variable?), your data might be structured the wrong way, though.

With kind regards

Karabiner