multilevel model. Dependent variable is not truly interval

noetsi

Fortran must die
I want to run multilevel regression. My dependent variable is a four point likert scale variable (as are predictors in most cases). Can you run multilevel models with a DV that is not classically interval (of course some argue likert scale is effectively interval, but for the moment I am not going there).

It would help if you can not readily do multilevel modeling with a 4 point DV to know what can analyze this. I am testing the result of area on satisfaction.

hlsmith

Not a robit
For MLMs I really like the "Multilevel Models: Applications Using SAS book by Wang et al. It covers MLM multinomial models on page 147. I always find it hard to believe, but over the years I still have not conducted a multinomial logistic reg model. I know SAS also has a MLM book they print, which may have been updated in the recent years. I would imagine that book should cover the topic as well.

noetsi

Fortran must die
thanks hlsmith. If your data is ordered will it create problems using multinomial (I believe not from my knowledge of logistic regression, but I have been wrong before).

I will look for both books. If I run this and send the results with my comments would you tell me if I interpreted it correctly :p

hlsmith

Not a robit
I can try to help the best I can. The ordering shouldn't be a big issue as long as you select the right reference group - I think.

noetsi

Fortran must die
I was wondering today how serious a problem it would create if I treated a 4 point likert variable as interval and used interval multilevel. Probably one of those questions no one agrees on.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Ok I have a different question. OLS regression is very common including among academicians. But MLM modeling argues essentially that if something can be nested inside something else then they will generate errors. That is the chance of getting a type 1 or type 2 error is much greater. My question is how you know when this is a problem or not. They do linear regression in my area (vocational rehabilitation) yet virtually all data is going to be nested (customers inside units inside areas).

How do you know if the linear method is valid in this case, as compared to having to use multilevel models. I am not sure statistical test are valid period in honesty because I usually have at least 60 percent of the data and often 100 percent.

To make things more confusing to me what I am interested in is the nesting inside areas. There are only 7 of these. Based on this comment I am not sure it is even valid to analyze this few groups with multilevel data.

"Guidelines for sample-size requirements and their implications for model complexity, the regression coefficients, variance components, and their standard errors are given in various studies and texts. For example, models with fewer than 20–25 groups may not provide accurate estimates of the regression coefficients and their standard errors, or of the variance components and their standard errors."

https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/edlabs/regions/northeast/pdf/REL_2015046.pdf

I do have a lower level called units, but no one cares about units and there are issues because some units overlap each other while being administrative separate.

Last edited: